Astonishing Discovery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
I just made a great discovery/realization. I've seen ads for the BeerTheif, which is a thing used to take a sample of beer out of your carboy with ease (to take a hydro reading or a taste, etc). I thought it was a pretty neat idea because I've always taken samples either with an auto siphon or with a turkey baster.

My discovery is this: For anyone out there with an Auto-Siphon, you already have a beer thief! Just dip the bottom part of the siphon assembly (the thicker tube) into your carboy, and when you pull it out, its full of beer!

Sorry if this is widely known, but I just discovered it and thought I'd share my knowledge haha. Cheers :mug:

Yup that's the way I do it. Great multi-use tool. The only problem is that mine drips when I remove it from the liquid. It's not a huge deal, but annoying. Is my auto-siphon screwed up or does anyone else experience this?

Yep, it works in a pinch. It does drip though, that's just how the auto-siphon is.

Yup that's the way I do it. Great multi-use tool. The only problem is that mine drips when I remove it from the liquid. It's not a huge deal, but annoying. Is my auto-siphon screwed up or does anyone else experience this?

Put the bigger tube in without the siphon part and then cover the open end with the palm of your hand.

I dont mind that I bought a thief because the one time I took the siphon apart I almost broke it, lol.

Yeah mine drips too, but I'm not too worried about it since I sanitize anyways. I'll try the palm of the hand thing next time, that'll probably do the trick. I feel stupid for getting so excited about such a small thing, but it definitely just made my life a little easier haha.

They drip. It's just a little plastic floating disk, with gravity and the weight of the wort making a seal - or NOT making much of a seal...part of the design.

Back