assistance sought ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advice you were given in the thread was really for an ale not a lager. You went from brewing to drinking a lager in 1 month; my guess is these will only get better the longer you leave them in a cold environment (hence the term lager).

Somewhere in the thread a guy mentioned going from primary to secondary (with no headspace) and then putting the beer into a cold place - I lager at 34F - and then leaving it alone for 60 days. I would have followed that advice. After lagering I would have bottled, let carb up and then put in fridge. Going that route you would have probably gotten a smoother lager - but hey it's beer and if you like it all the better.

Welcome to the obsession!

Oh! It sitting between 60 and 64 F. I'll have to settle for a drinking beer i don't have a place to keep it at 34F. Thanks for the comments I'll brew an ale when the apple cider is bottled. This hobby is am obsession as you say :D:cool:

Oh boy . ....I discovered 7 bottles that were leaking and quickly rebottle them. Thinking they were defective I wrote to the supplier but was told that they breaking due to over pressure. oops. I have released the pressure twice and the bottles are starting to firm up overnight should i release some more pressure? Aarghs. ...

I seriously doubt those cracks are from pressure build up. If it is, the bottle is still flawed... If your beers are not foaming all over the place and making a mess when you open them, then your beers are not over carbonated, and the bottles should easily withstand the pressure.

I also doubt that "re-bottling" them will result in a good outcome... I think those puppies are a lost cause.

Learn from this whole experience, and move on? Like you, I started w/ PET bottles because I needed something to put my first batch in. After that, I started collecting glass bottles, and moved to those pretty quickly. I don't like the PET bottles, because they don't seem to hold pressure very well. I think it's because they're somewhat gas permeable. Which also has implications for the beer going stale.

So... Hopefully you learned a lot from your first attempt, and don't get too discouraged. I'm about 4 years into this hobby now, and I'm still making significant adjustments on almost every batch.

Back