Asking Local Brewery for Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancoastbrewing

Reaction score
How exactly does one go about asking a local brewery for some of their yeast? I've heard some breweries may do this, but I was denied at one of the other breweries that I asked. I only do 3 gallon batches and haven't/wouldn't enter any competitions with a brewery's yeast. I wouldn't want to impose..

ask to meet the brewer and offer to buy some yeast

Not to be snippy, but I feel like asking to buy it is a bit silly for a one time deal. Aside from the fact that I actually have one of the local brewery's beers on tap at my house and they literally dump more yeast down the drain than I've ever used in my life, if I had to buy it, I'd just go to my LHBS.

Not to be snippy, but I feel like asking to buy it is a bit silly for a one time deal. Aside from the fact that I actually have one of the local brewery's beers on tap at my house and they literally dump more yeast down the drain than I've ever used in my life, if I had to buy it, I'd just go to my LHBS.

Asking to buy is being polite. Most people, when confronted with a polite offer to buy something that is usually considered a waste product will go ahead and give it to you for free. However when asked to provide the same thing for free, that same person is likely to say no.

Even if you end up paying, the cost will be well under the cost of buying yeast any other way.

If you offer to buy some yeast and they give you some for free, don't forget to bring the brewer a few bottles of homebrew later. A great way to build rapport, and maybe get some good critique in the process.

Just be cool and hang out. It'll come.

I hang out from time to time at a local brewery's tap room and after a while met the brewmaster. Through several question and answer sessions about water, Ph, hops, grains, yeast and basically just talking beer and especially home brewing, he offered a pitch of yeast. I have not taken him up on it... yet.

Interestingly, I met another brewery's brewmaster there as well and through beer talk, he offered to sell me grain at his wholesale cost and use his mill. I haven't taken him up on it yet either.

Do they use a special house yeast or are you just looking for free yeast? It seems like if they're using anything you can buy then you should just buy it.

Very true, it certainly wouldn't hurt to be polite. I doubt they use a special house strain as they are fairly small and new on the scene. I should have asked when I went on a tour. Just emailing and asking is probably not the best way to do it, which is what I did when I asked the other much larger and older brewery.

I've heard of plenty of breweries just giving out free yeast but I've never heard of a person paying for it. I would just ask and if they say no then no big deal.

I Facebooked a lot of breweries near me and plenty said to come by and they're happy to give some out. I always buy a beer when there to at least not just freeload.

How exactly does one go about asking a local brewery for some of their yeast? I've heard some breweries may do this, but I was denied at one of the other breweries that I asked. I only do 3 gallon batches and haven't/wouldn't enter any competitions with a brewery's yeast. I wouldn't want to impose..

I'm wondering why you want it? Is there something really special about their beer you want to emulate? My 2 cents: Go on your own yeast discovery journey and try the many different yeasts available that fit best with your home brew.
Commercial brewers try to keep their yeast program simple, they usually only use one strain in several different styles. The yeast selected may not be the absolute best for one individual style, but is more of a compromise choice.
As a homebrewer, you are not constrained by that, you can use whatever you want or even combine yeasts. Your yeast selection is an opportunity to add a flavor/aroma/complexity component to your beer.
So after saying all that, if a brewery offers tours, go on the tour, tell them you are a homebrewer, ask them a lot of questions about their yeasts, especially what temperatures work best for them, and ask for a pitch.
What's the worst that can happen? Good Luck!

different breweries will have different policies. doesn't hurt to ask, worst thing they could do is say no

have had several brewers offer, they say bring a mason jar or growler, but have yet to take them up on that.

one of our local breweries has a microbiologist on staff who started his own yeast company and sells their house strain.

brewery in DC is having a homebrew contest and the only rule is you have to use lager yeast. if you don't have your own, they will provide

different breweries will have different policies. doesn't hurt to ask, worst thing they could do is say no

have had several brewers offer, they say bring a mason jar or growler, but have yet to take them up on that.

one of our local breweries has a microbiologist on staff who started his own yeast company and sells their house strain.

brewery in DC is having a homebrew contest and the only rule is you have to use lager yeast. if you don't have your own, they will provide

Jasper is a great guy and is very good at what he does.

Jasper is a great guy and is very good at what he does.

brewing this Sunday with that house yeast. look forward to it

not sure what time, but it's BoP at Brew LoCo, will be doing a SN Bigfoot clone, you're more than welcome to come out and help clean up ;) :mug:

also dying to try a Basque cider yeast he has. have wanted to funk up a cider

I'm wondering why you want it? Is there something really special about their beer you want to emulate? My 2 cents: Go on your own yeast discovery journey and try the many different yeasts available that fit best with your home brew.
Commercial brewers try to keep their yeast program simple, they usually only use one strain in several different styles. The yeast selected may not be the absolute best for one individual style, but is more of a compromise choice.
As a homebrewer, you are not constrained by that, you can use whatever you want or even combine yeasts. Your yeast selection is an opportunity to add a flavor/aroma/complexity component to your beer.
So after saying all that, if a brewery offers tours, go on the tour, tell them you are a homebrewer, ask them a lot of questions about their yeasts, especially what temperatures work best for them, and ask for a pitch.
What's the worst that can happen? Good Luck!

No special reason, I guess. Just thought it would be cool. I only ever use dry yeast because my LHBS is really hit or miss when it comes to liquid yeast (getting really tired of their unreliable inventory). It gets kind of old when your choices are basically s-23 or 34/70 (I only brew lagers). I will probably make an attempt at a liquid yeast smack pack. Don't really have the time to worry about making a starter and what not.

Latest posts

Back