Aseptox - How long????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
I had soaked my secondary in some water and Aseptox 2 days ago and was wondering if I can still use the solution today to sanitize my hydrometer for a reading later on tonight... Is it possible that after sitting in a carboy for 2-3 days a sanitizing solution would lose its sanitizing power or can I still use it?

Aseptox is rebranded "One Step" sodium percarbonate, and iirc from back when I was still using "One Step", it loses its effectivity within a day or less. So I would say you can't reuse it...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, good to know... Do you think I'd have to resanitize the carboy that's been soaking for 3 days? There's no airlock so I'm a little worried something may have crawled in there

If you have any doubt, another dose of sanitizer is pretty cheap insurance to protect a batch of brew.

As you've already sanitized it once, you don't need to fill the carboy with sanitizing solution again, just mix up a quart or two and swish it around the inside a few times over 15 minutes or so, cover the mouth with something while brew up the beer, then drain it just before you fill it with the beer...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back