Aryoung's (almost doppel) dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastforbrains

Reaction score
Brewing this beer today, keeping separate from the original post.
My tap water is 11°C today, so will be able to chill wort sufficiently for lager fermentation.

I like simple, clean, malty, dark lagers myself. I would brew something dunkel inspired.

5.50kg Munich
0.25kg chocolate
35g Hersbrucker at 60
14g Hersbrucker at 20

Mash for 75 minutes at 65.5C
Ferment at 10C with S-23 or W lager.

Even if I'm not the winner, I'd be interested in some international bottle exchanges.

EDIT: Just noticed you only have 300g of chocolate malt. Toss it all in and use it up.

Since the process was pretty identical to that of the original post, I skip to the lager yeast part, having rehydrated two packs of saflager w34/70 in 2dl water at 20°C, I chilled (over 30 mins) the rehydration wessel to pitch temp at 12°C which is what the wort sits at.

View attachment 1417976100020.jpg

Oh, and a little added bonus, since I do 23 liter batches, and I only had enough lager yeast for 18 liters, I racked off 5 liters into a demi-john and pitched a 6 gram sachet of muntons yeast from a "nut brown" kit into it. Sitting at ambient18°C.

View attachment 1417976914123.jpg

Looking good. I've been meaning to brew a dark lager myself for the last few weeks. Work keeps getting in the way. Hopefully I'll get around to it this weekend

Loved reading this thread!

I'm curious how the gallon with the Munton's yeast turned out.

It turned out great, but somehow, it's all gone :drunk:
That yeast was fairly Belgium-type-estery and the beer had some resemblance to a dubbel --> malty with juicy-fruity esters.

Malty and chocolaty and quite sweet. Clean profile, but detect some alcohol and some faint acidic notes along with a very faint yeast fruitiness. It's my first lager, and allowed me to test my fridge thermostat and different process to what I'm used with. I.e. first time I ever added yeast during bottling. I think I will try a liquid strain for my next lager.

If you can get your hands on it, White Labs 940 Mexican Lager is my favorite. I've used it for a Baltic Porter and an American Dark. Both of which medaled in a large competition. I just brewed a Maibock with it on Sunday. If that turns out well, I'll try a Bo Pils next. I think it will become my house lager strain of all goes well.

Back