Artisian Bottled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNastyBrew

Reaction score
Anyone use Artisian bottled water for AG. I'm making the jump to AG and my water dept is not helping at all. Can't seem to locate the mineral content and the annual report does not list a lot of these.

So, I'm thinking of using artisian. Thoughts?

You'll have to contact the bottled water manufacturer and ask them for their water analysis.

I'd suggest to just keep pushing your utility company - they'll give it to you eventually (it only took me three e-mails). Send them an e-mail or letter along these lines:

Please forward this request to one of your water chemists/engineers.

I am interested in learning about the aesthetic/ secondary water quality
characteristics of our local water that are not included in the
general water report. Specifically, I need to find out about the
following (preferably in ppm or mg/L where applicable):

Calcium
Chloride
Magnesium
Sodium
Sulfate
Bicarbonate
Total Hardness (as CaCO3)
Total Alkalinity (as CaCO3)
Total Dissolved Solids
pH

And finally, whether you use chlorine or chloramine for disinfection.

Some of those are actually redundant, but you never know what standards/measurement your utility uses. You may also want to ask if they have a single water source, or multiple sources, in which case the issue becomes a lot more complicated, since your tap water chemistry will vary unpredictably depending on what the source is on any given day.

Thank you. I just got off the phone with a pleasant young lady (finally). I had to submit a public records request.

You can definately use bottled water. You'd be wasting your money on anything labeled "artisian". I frequently brew with the gallon jugs labeled "spring water". Its pretty cheap and tastes fine.

If this is your first AG, don't even worry about the water report. In the end, water will make beer. If you are worried, pick up some from the store. No need to break the bank on the expensively marked stuff though.

Latest posts

Back