Article on off-flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about the compound that causes "skunkyness":

"Humans are very sensitive to this compound," says Denis De Keukeleire of Ghent University in Belgium. 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol is detectable in quantities as small as 0.004 microgram (µg) per liter. This amount can form in minutes when beer is exposed to bright sunlight, he says.

Wow! Your beer can get skunked in minutes! :eek: I do all my brewing, racking, bottling, etc., in my kitchen under of florescent light. Does this mean that in the 20 to 30 minutes it takes to rack from glass primary to glass secondary that my beer is getting skunked?

It's not quite that bad, EP. At the OSU off-flavors seminar they said a ale will skunk to the detectable point in about 30 minutes in full sunlight.

Sadly, since it is the hop oils that skunk, the higher the hops, the faster it goes bad.

Cool. Next time I get a bad pint, I'm not telling them it's "skunky". I'm going to tell them that it "obviously has an overage of 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol." That'll impress the chicks.

Cool article, thanks Dave!

Excellent article. I do believe chicks will be impressed. oh and sam you inspired me with your signatures quote.

subwyking said:
Excellent article. I do believe chicks will be impressed. oh and sam you inspired me with your signatures quote.

I just realized something....are you a member of the XL Forum?

subwyking said:
nope not me. just some poser i guess. :)

OK....seems like there's a USAF guy from Offutt on there, too. I got my Chuck Norris quote off a post there, so it made me think you might be the same dude.

BTW, did you know that since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased by 13,000 percent? :D

Sorry for the thread hijack, Dave.

Back