Arrgh!! Microsoft Demons got me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthebrewer

Reaction score
Ahh...yup! Finally got all my recipes transferred to Microsoft word files. Went to open one of them yesterday, in prep for a brewday.....and MS Office seems to have forgotten that it came preloaded on my pc.....and is now holding my recipes hostage, demanding that I buy MS Office again:smack::eek::rolleyes:

Well that sucks.

Are you sure you paid for a full version? Sales person may have said it came with a full version installed, but may have neglected to mention you have to pay for a product key to unlock it beyond the free trial.

-Or-

Quite often a "trial version" comes pre-installed. You may have paid for the full version, and somewhere in the box is a sticker with the product key.

Nah...It was the full version. The computer is several years old, and I've been using Word for a few years. Of course I cant find the original key....I swear its a Karma Issue. Oh well I'm just gonna buy it again since I use it for other things:rolleyes:

If you legitimately own a license then you can call up Microsoft and they'll get you straightened out. Save some $$ for more batches of beer.

check what version is trying to open the .DOC or .DOCX extensions, depending on your version of Office

this happened to me the other day, all of a sudden it's asking for activation. i check the default program and it says "open with Office 2010" which is trial version and I have previously activated 2007 full version

told it to bugger Office 2010 and it's working fine now

That's why I bought BS2. Activate it once & you're good to go. I've even posted recipes on the Beersmith site as well. It saves a list of recipes in the program so you just pick from a list.

That's why I bought BS2. Activate it once & you're good to go. I've even posted recipes on the Beersmith site as well. It saves a list of recipes in the program so you just pick from a list.

BS2 almost effed me, the same way Office did to OP. overwrote all my recipes and thought they were lost

it's happened to quite a few people on the board here. told them how I did it and they were able to save their recipes

1. Get some program that can read your files (MS might have a free Word reader)
2. Enter them in some online document (I use Google GDrive)

Unless you really have a need to work offline, I don't even look at installed office products anymore. GDrive is everywhere, there are other options also

Another vote for libreoffice. www.libreoffice.org It's highly compatible with all Office software. It'll be able to open your recipes no problem. It's 100% free, no licenses. I use it as my main word processor on all my computers, windows and Linux.

I used Open Office and Libre office at home. Free and extremely compatible with most office files.

Or contact M$ and they will help you. If you bought the computer from an OEM its that much better.

Open Office is the quick, easy, and free fix. Then copy everything into a new google doc and you will have access to it on any computer/tablet anywhere.

I would recommend LibreOffice over OpenOffice at this point. LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice but a large majority of the development community left OpenOffice to work on LibreOffice. LO is far ahead in stability, performance, and features compared to Oo_Org.

Back