Aromatic malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Is Caravienne acceptable to use as an aromatic malt in a Belgian style IPA. The other grains are Pilsner, Vienna and wheat malt, the Caravienne is like 2% of the entire grain bill.

CaraVienne is not an aromatic malt, but rather a crystal (or caramel, if you prefer) malt. It adds body, mouthfeel, sweetness, and flavor (slightly toasty). It is a typical addition of Belgian (and many other styles) beers.

Aromatic gives a malty aroma, and because of that enhances malty flavor.

Like sptaylor said it's not similar, dark munich or melanoidin malt would probably be a better direct sub for aromatic. But if you are asking if you can use 2% caravienne in a Belgian IPA, sure. I do think it's a good idea to keep the percentage of crystal low if you're going to use it, just like any other IPA.

Sorry I didnt realize there actually was a thing called aromatic malt but found it in Beersmith and my LHBS had it in stock. Prob solved but thanks for the input and good to know this for the future.

Back