Arg blowoff suckback with idodopher - is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Cold crashed my brown ale yesterday. Had a blow off tube on. Checked this morning and all the sanitizer in the bottle was gone. All of it. Had no idea suckback was a thing until this morning. I was using Iodopher and used a pretty heavy ratio to water from memory. Would have sucked in about 300ml of the stuff. Is my beer ruined? I bottle condition too - so even if it's not going to kill me, will the active yeast be dead?

Chalk up to learning. Next time use water or alcohol in the airlock if possibility of suck back exists.

Or, put a clean and sanitized tube into a clean and sanitized jar of water. Unlikely, suck back will happen all the way thru the tube into your brew.

yeah learning like this bites. i did actually use a decent length tube - but still sucked it all up...

Looking at the size of those jars I can't see how it would prevent air(o2) from entering fermenter during cold crashing. Unless that is not the purpose. I blow up a plastic bag with CO2 approx 1 cu ft volume and it is nearly collapsed at 50 f.

Back