are you serious?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyDog

Reaction score
DAMN! so I was brewing a brown ale (who doesn't brew brown ales) well I finished fermenting, and was cleaning my glass carboy.. and i didn't notice.. some type of bug (what's left of it anyway) was on the bottom.. and I NEVER noticed it!!! what should I do? should proceed to bottling? or just dump it, and start all over again..???

You probably didn't get many fermentables from it without doing a cereal mash. ;)

You have to taste the beer to know...For all you know the bug fell in during the boil and was sterilized.....We've all had things end up in our beer and they've managed to still turn out.

But really the only way to know is to taste it.

Reminds me of the old joke though,

An Englishman, a Scott, and a Irishman walked into a pub.
Each orderd a pint of beer. Then a fly landed in each one's beer.

The Englishman, turning slightly green, pushed his beer away and asked for another one.

The Scott took the fly out, shrugged, and drank his beer.

The Irisman pinched the fly between his fingers and yelled
"SPIT IT OUT!" "SPIT IT OUT!"

:)

Proceed to bottling. If you are nervous, taste your beer, then proceed to bottling. I had three nasty cicadas fall in my boiling wort earlier this summer and it was one of my best batches to date. Jamil Zainasheff has a famous story about black widow spiders falling into his porter. So basically, unless that bug was in the fermenter BEFORE the beer went in, DON'T WORRY. Think about how small it is...and the fact that it most likely has been boiled. RDWHAH.

Proceed to bottling. If you are nervous, taste your beer, then proceed to bottling. I had three nasty cicadas fall in my boiling wort earlier this summer and it was one of my best batches to date. Jamil Zainasheff has a famous story about black widow spiders falling into his porter. So basically, unless that bug was in the fermenter BEFORE the beer went in, DON'T WORRY. Think about how small it is...and the fact that it most likely has been boiled. RDWHAH.

And even if the bug got in before the beer went in, it more than likely drowned in sanitizer and got santized along with the carboy.

Thank you everyone!! I feel alot better.. I'll give it a try and see what happens..

PS.
what happened to Gary Martin??

And even if the bug got in before the beer went in, it more than likely drowned in sanitizer and got santized along with the carboy.

And even if the bug got in there after the sanitizer and after the beer went in, the chance that it ruined your beer is slim.

Drink it. There are no known pathegens that can survive in beer.

...... And I've brewed over 200 batches and never brewed a Brown Ale!

I had a wasp land in my brew pot when brewing an IPA and just named it Wasp Sting IPA lived up to its name

as long as they are not fruit flies which carry acetobacter you should be alright. I found a pile of "bug" in the bottom of my fermenter once and I thought the batch was ruined, but it turned out they were hop seeds from the Goldings I bought from Hops Direct.

No big deal really. I just brewed up the Samhain Pumpkin Ale on Friday and my mash was about 2 degrees lower than what I wanted, so I pulled about 6 cups of thick mash to do a mini decoction just to get the temps up. As I was pouring the scoops into a pot, I noticed something that wasn't grain. It was a cricket. I have no idea how it got in there, but I just picked it out and proceeded with my day. This kind of stuff happens all the time.

Latest posts

Back