Are you fit or fat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both.. I am Overwieght (was Obese.. Lost 30lb so far this summer)... but I am fit as well as in I ride 100 mile rides (in decent times) a good time to me is hammering out 40 miles in an afternoon with friends on the road bike..

I don't make all the best descisions for my health. I love beer wine and fine cheeses and meats... But I don't drink (most) sodas, nor do I eat fast food and rarely (usually after said century rides) do I eat highly calorific and fatty foods (Burgers, fries et al)..

I certainly am enjoying life :)

I tend to think I am fat just because I have reached the double digit BF%, but now that I am getting my tendonitus under control and am able to work out a little bit now, I will drop it back into the single digits.

I always have been big all my life. Not fat big just have been a big boned with a stomach. i was bigger than my dad before high school. I played sports to keep it under control now with the amount of beer (homebrew and bought) i have at my house i feel like i have to drink or it'll just fly away lol. I'm going to force my self to slow down drinking, eat less and workout more to get rid of some weight. Just need to be consistant and keep it up.

Partly fit. Love beer, alcohol and good food in general; bit old and lazy to bring myself to 10-15% levels of body fat. But I do run regularly, and will start going back to the gym soon.

Just ran the San Diego Rock n Rock half-marathon yesterday in a decent time (~2:05). My bib said 'I'm on a beer run'. Obviously celebrated with a few pints of IPAs :)

(off topic, but how sad was it that in a beer city like San Diego, the only beer available post-race at the Rock n Roll marathon event was Michelob Ultra!)

Fairly fit at 6'2" 185. I try to stay active and have been blessed with playing sports (soccer and football) all my life and still now into my mid 30's. I work out a lot less than I used to and as a result have had to eat less (I used to eat in excess of 4000 cals a day). I still consume the same amount of beers but I just eat more in line with my caloric needs daily. I never keep track anymore but I've am more thin (less muscle) than a few years ago, and have a more runner/soccer type build verses football. Which is nice because I've found I can lose weight more easily now with the caloric loss and thinner body. Runs counter to what I thought I knew but it works for me so I stick to it. I want to stay below 190 pounds and it is important to keep my gut in check and stay active, not for looks but for family heart history and general health. I know some people struggle with this and beer can add a lot of calories but I've been brewing and drinking my beer for over 10 years now and I've found that beer is quite useful to crub my appetite. There are times where I will only have a beer or two for lunch and that is it. Rarely does it make me more hungry and I can shed pounds in a week doing that. Also makes it nice to go to go back to work!

Pretty fit 5' 10" 165 lbs. Drink 2-3 beers a day. But I am pretty active, I run a marathon every year and do bike races plus play soccer on the weekends. I will admit that I used to be in better looking shape but love food and beer to much to give that up...

got myself a desk job and gained like 60 lbs.... FAIL

will be going back to the gym tomorrow though in an effort to get in shape, beer isnt my problem. Soda is my poison of choice.

Fat, getting fit. I'm 42 years old, 6'3", and maxed out at 315 two years ago. I've paleo-dieted and weight-trained myself down to 275 (while putting on 35-ish lbs of lean mass), and am feeling better than I have in years. Another 30-40 lbs to go, and I'll feel truly fit.

I limit myself to one beer a night, if that, but it's gotten warm here in Birmingham, so these days I'm making a lot more red wine, which everyone says is super healthy, right? :D

-Rich

Great thread. I'm out of shape and getting fat. Only a few pounds over what I was in the best of health but I believe the muscle is gone and replaced by a lot of fat. Since retiring from the military I've been lazy.

There was a time in my life only up till a few years ago that I ran 5 days a week, on my 44th birthday ran a half marathon. I look back at pictures of myself then and wonder what the heck happened? Pure laziness. The military lifestyle was very movtivating.

I keep telling myself I'll get in shape again but it's a lie. I get winded walking up a few flights of stairs these days. Thing is, I know I can get back in shape, eat healthier and feel better ... but damn if I'm just to unmotivated to get back to that point.

Anybody around the Hanford Ca area need a workout buddy? I could certainly use the peer pressure needed to get through the first month or so. There were times when I pushed a person and times when I needed pushed. Once a committment to work out is made with another person it becomes an obligation. Especially in the beginning of working out. Once you get into your own regime the both of you can do it on your own and be very motivating to other people..

Just my 2 cents.

Pappy!?

Being in the ARMY makes it difficult to be "too" overweight, but you would be surprised. Like Dan said motivation is key in the military. I am currently a little heavier than I would like to be ( 6' - 192 lbs) but have just quit smoking and started eating healthier so I aim to get back down to 180 -185.

In the last 5 months I've really started getting fit and lowering what was a high blood pressure reading, and as a result, I've drank a LOT less beer in order to meet my lessened caloric demand. Obviously there will be more room for beer in a maintenance phase but I'm just wondering who else on this forum is getting fit?

It's not about calories in vs calories out per se, it's about avoiding the wrong calories and eating the right ones :)

carbs drive insulin which drives fat storage.

Just thought I'd clarify :)

I'm fit but only drink once or twice a week and never during or close after a meal.

I'm 6'1" and about 220lbs. This is very heavy for me. I used to be extremely thin. Luckily, small lifestyle changes (modest changes to what I'm eating and heading to the gym or running a few times a week) tend to send me back in the right direction. Between moving last year and my wife being pregnant (resulting in me doing more around the house), I haven't been able to establish a good routine for the gym. I've made a few changes in my eating habits (almost exclusively drinking water when I don't drink beer and subbing out chips and other snacks for fruit) and am seeing a slow decline in my waistline.

about a month ago I weighed the most I ever have. I go in cycles about every year where a few months I will try and eat right, then ultimately fail and gain back whatever I lost and then some.

This time I got serious. I am going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Up to running 2 miles on the treadmill, going to be taking that run outside in about 2 weeks, and add in mountain biking and trail runnning.

When I started in March, my goal was to drop about 30# by the end of the summer. Already down about 10.

I have been drinking less, but not by a whole lot.

Also, going to try and do this next year.

Just ran a half marathon in 1hr 32min 29s, finished 291st out of 5700 finishers (lots didn't finish as it was crazy hot).

Not bad to say I work in a brewery and am surrounded by temptation all day.

Two words, "burpee mile"

three words, "burpee power hour."

A set number of burpees you choose, once a minute, for an hour. See ya looking skinny in a few weeks :D

In the past years I've gotten into ultramarathon running, sometimes running up to 60 miles per week for training. I also have done some half Ironmans, and mountain bike 2 times a week. At least once a month I get out to rock climb. 5'11", 165lbs. I eat whatever I want. I try to make healthy choices, but I do love some fatty nasty goodness.

Mike

I'm fit.

I'm 48 years old with a BMI of 22. My body fat (just measured) is a bit higher than I'd like, but I will work on that. My cholesterol is low, my fasting blood sugar is low, and I can outrun most 25 year olds. I am 5'5" tall and weigh 135, wearing a size 4.

BUT......I watch what I eat. I haven't had a donut in more than 25 years, for example. I eat "primal"- my version of Paleo- and am very active. My vice is beer, and I'm not giving that up!

I was at the same good weight for over 15 years until i started homebrewing and researching:drunk: gained 15 pounds since.But i run/bike weights 2-3X a week-more than i ever have also but cant seem to catch up with dropping that10 #.

I wasnt consistantly having a few+ daily either then.Some dinners end up just being beer if i have a few more than intended:cross: + healthy snacks usually.I choose quality over quantity mostly when it comes to food choices.

Just started Atkins Induction today. I'm only looking at 10-15 lbs, but I wouldn't be upset if I could get off of the blood pressure meds.

Im somewhere in the gray area I am in no way fit, but im in my healthy weight range! Lol

pretty fit. 5'6" 135 pounds. My job keeps me pretty active plus I really watch what I eat

I'm a bit heavy now (220ish at 5-11) would like to be around 200...especially since this year I did not compete (have twice competed as a natural bodybuilder - I know strange mix of hobbies).

Interesting how to balance brewing/cooking (seems to be two interest that go hand-in-hand here) with a healthy lifestyle.

Ugh, I'm the heaviest I've ever been at 6'7 - 265 lbs, though in college I was a fit 230. Been a slow decline due to too much beer and not enough exercise. Though this week my mountain bike will arrive and it's back to eating only unprocessed foods. And less beer...

Getting fat, was really fit. Need to face reality and realize I won't be happy with myself if I wait until it's too late.

Always considered myself to be fit - 6-2, #180-185. Run a fair amount, cherry pick Cross fit or p90x workouts. Eat fairly healthy (minimal sweets, not a lot of fried/processed foods).

Last month the doc did some blood work and the news was not good. Evidently my body is a factory of bad cholesterol, my lipid genome suggests I won't respond to pharms. Basically she said, "You are the guy everyone will say was so fit, and you are going to drop dead soon."

Sheesh, when I type it out like that it looks even worse than when she said it.

Anyhow, it forced a bit of a lifestyle change. No more red mead, no processed foods, no cheese, nothing that already has cholesterol.

The one positive thing was the little line in the blood profile that said "alcohol is proven to break down the [insert long fancy medical word here] fat cells..." which is the most dangerous one my body is cranking out, a major plaque builder.

Basically I HAVE to work out on a very consistent schedule.

The alcohol is my only cheater right now. I'm pretty sure 1-2 drinks a night does not mean it is OK to have a big-a$$ oversized bomber of a quad style ale that packs 11% ABV. But nobody else in the house drinks it, and I'm not about to dump the extra!

6'4" 195 pounds and almost fit. I started primal way of eating on Jan 3rd and lost 25 pounds to date. Last few weeks I've strayed just a little but I've managed to keep the weight in check. Only exercise I do is playing disc golf a few times a week and some 16 oz curls.

I'm not trying to spam but if anyone is interested in eating primal you should check out marks daily apple. A lot of good info to get ya started.

Yooper, I thought me being soda free for the last 10 years was impressive but that doesn't touch you being donut free for 25 years. Awesome job to ya :mug:

way more fit than I should be. Drink plenty of beer.

Still thin and reasonably strong.

This is pretty much me as well. Genetically my family doesn't get fat no matter our diet. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs. I'm 33, don't work out but still have 6-pack abs but I have a really good diet (lots of home cooked vegetables with every meal), I don't drink soda, don't eat sweets, I jog and do a lot of outdoor activities to stay in reasonable shape but I certainly don't have the stamina I had at 21. I drink 1-3 beers most nights, some nights none, some weekends I might have as many as 5 beers in one day. All my friends said I would get fat once I turned 30 but so far so good! :mug:

This is pretty much me as well. Genetically my family doesn't get fat no matter our diet. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs. I'm 33, don't work out but still have 6-pack abs but I have a really good diet (lots of home cooked vegetables with every meal), I don't drink soda, don't eat sweets, I jog and do a lot of outdoor activities to stay in reasonable shape but I certainly don't have the stamina I had at 21. I drink 1-3 beers most nights, some nights none, some weekends I might have as many as 5 beers in one day. All my friends said I would get fat once I turned 30 but so far so good! :mug:

you say it's genetics but then describe how you follow a very healthy lifestyle. i'm going to suggest that it is environmental.

I'm about 20-25 lbs overweight, and have been so consistently for the majority of my adult life. I've made a few attempts at getting fit, but most recently broke my foot. Anyhow, I've finally started p90x again, and am 2 weeks into it and feel great. I'm also doing intermittent fasting, which is great. Two or three days eating, then one day fasting, from 6pm to 6pm the next day. It really does leave me feeling amazing. No more than one beer a day, although my friends and wife still don't get the picture, bringing over ice cream, candy, more beer, etc.

you say it's genetics but then describe how you follow a very healthy lifestyle. i'm going to suggest that it is environmental.

It's likely a little of both. There are plenty of overweight individuals who have very good diets. Weight is both genetic and environmental but you can only control one of those factors.

I'm fairly fit but still have a ways to go. I'm 5'11" about 182lbs right now, but I'd like to get down to 175 which was my Marine Corps weight. My weight seems to fluccuate a lot, as much as 5lbs in 24hrs, maybe my scale is crap. I try to run 3 miles every other day and Lift weights twice a week, but it usualy works out that I run twice a week and lift once. Something always seems to get in the way. I'm down from 198lbs this time last year so I'm pretty happy. I've cut my beer consumption down quite a bit, was having 2-3 pints a night and not really watching what I was eating. Now I try to have at least 3 nights a week that I don't drink and other nights just have one, except for Wednesdays when I get together with my buddy to shoot pool.

6'0 245lbs feeling pretty fat.... I played soccer every year when I was younger...now I'm 42. BMI is embarrasing.. I still mountain bike twice a week ... I eat the wrong thing AT the wrong time

Last week I started sit-up and push-ups in the evening I want to start doing those in the morning also, it feels pretty good already ...I need to drop 50lbs bad lol

Back