Are You an Airlock Sniffer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are You an Airlock Sniffer?

• Hells YEAH!

• No way! That's gross!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've noticed now since i sniff my airlock that walking threw my yard when i have some fruit on the ground that i now notice when some wild yeast is ferminting something. honestly i like the smell a lot.

Definitely I do. Not really by choice anymore though. I have 2 of the Cool Brewing coolers. When I open ithem up to swap out ice, it's a blast of that wonderful smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You guys are amateurs! I carry a few of those old-time curved poly 'water' bottles, each with a separate brew going, and I run the effluent vapors right up to my nose. It looks like I have a pan-flute in my shirt, and folks give me a wide berth.

One of the advantages of a blow-off tube instead of an airlock: it fits nicely in one nostril.

Best beware y'all. That is how it starts, always. A little sniff here and another there in the fermentation room. Yup. Next thing you are over at Buddie's sniffing around. Yeah, let's start a club. A club of sniffers is all it is. Yeah, seen it.

A bit too much? Hardly. Next thing is ways to meet your ilk and kindred. How about hitting a few competitions and maybe infiltrate specialized markets? Yup, you know how to solicit sniffs as well as sneak a few. Darkened tents at carnivals, back parking lot rendezvous and nefarious tailgate meetings where unlabeled sniffables are procured and sampled while the innocent world delights in the aroma of violets and spring.

Reap what Ye sniff!

I don't have the best sense of smell, not horrible but not precise, and I've never been able to smell anything from my fermenters. Are we talking about the 3-piece airlocks? In plastic buckets? Does the CO2 carry the aroma of fermentation, because otherwise I'd be worried about the lack of an airtight seal.

I open ferment almost everything, so I don't get to sniff airlocks until 4-5 days in, but I still go to the fermentation room to get whiffs from time to time: the smell is a lot more powerful when you have open buckets around.

Latest posts

Back