Are these Blichmann Boilermaker cosmetic defects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vash68

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!
I need your opinion on whether I got a brew kettle with cosmetic defects or these defects are a norm for Blichmann pots.

I just picked up my first Blichmann Boilermaker 15 gal and a false bottom for it from a local HBSS because I decided to make a switch from a cooler MLT.

After dropping $500+tax (MSPR), bringing a big sealed box home and unpacking it, I noticed that the brew pot is not as perfect as I expected it to be. I have an old Polarware pot, which has no signs of the defects listed below.

1. The kettle has a vertical seam which looks like a dent running entire hight of the BK. It is very noticeable from outside as well as inside the kettle and I can feel it by running my hand over it. Also, the finish band along the seam is more rough than the rest of the kettle (which is highly polished) and it makes that seam stand out.

2. The kettle has horizontal tooling traces/lines about every inch around circumference.

3. It has some hair line scratches here and there I can leave with, however my expectations of Blichmann engineering were much higher than this. Am I wrong?
I mean, my car does not have as many scratches and definitely no dents as this kettle :(

Here you can see vertical seam and horizontal tooling lines:

2014-01-22180222_zps5f7e633f-1.jpg

Seam from inside the kettle (looks a bit exaggerated by the flash):
2014-01-22175929_zps064bece8.jpg

Here is the outside finish/polish around the vertical seam (clouded on the right):
2014-01-22175622_zps1bbbe4d5.jpg

Can't wait for your input.

I bought a Bichmann 10gal w/ cosmetic defect (discount :D) and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I would contact your retailer cause that seems off...

I have three of them, and while you can find the seams if you're looking, they aren't anywhere near as noticeable as that.

Ultimately its up to you if you're satisfied, they are expensive, so there should be a certain level of expectation in terms of fit and finish. If it were me I'd return it and ask for a replacement.

I bought a Bichmann 10gal w/ cosmetic defect (discount :D) and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I would contact your retailer cause that seems off...

That's nice, how much was a discount and did you order directly from Blichmann?

I can't actually see or feel a seam on mine, certainly nothing like you show there.

Argh..
Thank you all, it sounds like that seam should not be as apparent as it is on my BK.

I just looked at the bottom of this BK and saw a bunch of small scratches, it might had served as a floor model.. Also, the 3-piece valve was already installed when I pulled BK out of the box, while instructions indicate that I need to install it myself.
So much for supporting my LHBS... The BK is def. going back. :(

i purchased the same kettle from my lhbs and i do not have any dents or marks on mine. it was also a floor model. take it back (like you said) and hope they dont charge you for a restocking fee. try and get a exchange for it

Argh..
Thank you all, it sounds like that seam should not be as apparent as it is on my BK.

I just looked at the bottom of this BK and saw a bunch of small scratches, it might had served as a floor model.. Also, the 3-piece valve was already installed when I pulled BK out of the box, while instructions indicate that I need to install it myself.
So much for supporting my LHBS... The BK is def. going back. :(

Interesting my valve was already on and it said the only thing that wasn't pre installed was the brewmometer.

You probably won't find a perfect one. I can see the seam where it was welded on mine but not as bad as the one in your photo. It's disappointing given how expensive they are, but I don't think that Blichmann is terribly concerned about minor blemishes, unfortuantely. It kind of makes me mad because all of my cheap kettles don't have a scratch on them, but the Blichmann pot's usefulness outweighs the frustration.

Just got a 20 gallon before Christmas. The seam is there and if you are looking for it, you'll see it. It doesn't look nearly as noticable as the one in the picture. I didn't have any scratches, but there were some polish marks. Once you brew with it, you'll get some 'character marks'. That's unavoidable.

Me, I'd go back to the LHBS and show them. Compare to any others they may have in stock. Have them call Blichmann.

return that garbage and get a 20 gallon megapot with false bottom for 100 less from morebeer.

You spent $500, you should be completely satisfied.

Here's the thing; from now on you will always see the those defects, and they will always bother you.

Take it back, and get a new one.

Back