Arduino controlled kombucha incubator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timpy

Reaction score
HERE IT IS.

The reason I made this is that it turns out my basement apartment doesn't get much above 71°F, so I figured this would give the brew a nice boost. This is mainly just for fun.

After doing all of this though, and realizing that I like kombucha enough to warrant getting something bigger than a 1 gallon jar I may go with a different approach. I obviously can't fit anything larger than a 1 gallon jar in that crockpot. One idea is to use a heating pad such as this with a larger brewing vessel. I could measure the kombucha directly this way with the probe inside the liquid, or somehow find a consistent differential between the jar's surface and the liquid temperature and adjust based on that.

You can build something like this pretty cheaply it turns out. You can get an Arduino for <$9, a relay for $5, thermometer for $3 on ebay plus some wires, a breadboard and a single resistor which can all be had at Radioshack cheaply as well.

I've only recently got into kombucha, and as someone who doesn't drink alcohol but has always been very intrigued by the brewing process this seems like a happy medium. Just for fun, here's a short video of my yerba mate apple ginger kombucha being poured. I'm pretty proud of that fizz:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNNbWZHLFA[/ame]

Feel free to ask any questions!

I use an aquarium heater and thermometer from the pet store, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's actually a great idea. Do you submerge the entire heater + cord into the kombucha? I guess I'd be worried if the materials they use are food safe or not... What temperature do you keep it at?

I went to a nursery- you can get a seed mat heater and a temperature controller for about 40 dollars total. Just put the thermostat for the temperature controller between the jar and the seed mat heater- the heat transfer isn't perfect, but it will do to raise your buch to 80F or so.

Latest posts

Back