Aquatic water treatments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inglorious

Reaction score
I have a kilo of SeaChem Safe, which I use to treat and dechlorinate the water used in my aquariums(fishkeeping is another of my hobbies). Does anyone know if this can be used to treat the water I use for brewing as well to eliminate chlorine and chloramine or could there be unforeseen consequences affecting flavors and fermentation?

The bottle doesn't specify what's in it and neither does their website, but everything I can find is that it's sodium thiosulfate based. I don't know if there is anything else added that is propitiatory though, and I haven't contacted seachem directly yet since I'm sure their response will be that their products are not FDA approved so they can't recommend them for non-aquaria usage.

Well the sodium thiosulfate will reduce chloramine (and chlorine) so no question there. If this product is intended to set up tap water as a marine environment I'd guess there would be carbonates, sulfates, chlorides, bromides, and iodides in it. But who knows how much of what if any of those?

From my understanding it's used to neutralize anything undesirable in a salt or freshwater aquarium, and is used by many hobbyists for sensitive pets such as stingrays, discus, and corals. Never had any issues using it in my tanks. I just didn't know if anyone knew of any secondary additives that could affect my brewing success. I would rather buy a specific brewing treatment than risk ruining a batch through improper additives.

Latest posts

Back