Apricot wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Anybody have a good recipe for an AG Apricot wheat? I have been toying with the idea of giving something completely different a try and I enjoy Apricots. So I thought, why not. I searched the internet and while i found a few I figure I will go to the experts and see what you all have in your beer libraries. Any and all input is welcome. RR

Jamil Zaiasheff & John Palmer have an apricot wheat recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. It uses 2-row, wheat malt, and apricot puree, and it's hopped with Willamette. It uses hefeweizen/wheat yeast. It sounds yummy, and it's probably worth looking into.

If you end up brewing it (or another recipe) please come back and let us know how it turns out! It sounds delicious!

FWIW, I just tried Nectaron for the first time, and to me it’s extremely strong on the apricot/peach notes. If you can get your hands on some it might be the perfect hop for an apricot beer.

To further what @AlexKay said above, I'd encourage you to search for hops that give a apricot flavor and aroma notes and select recipes that use them.

One of the most grapefruit tasting beer I make uses no grapefruit at all. It's just the hops. The beers I've made with grapefruit don't even come close to that beer for taste.

5 lbs Pils
3.5 lbs white wheat
Cascade pellets first wort hopped
US05 yeast
RO water with very moderate mineralization
Olive Nation apricot extract

That recipe has been a crowd pleaser for over a decade and my wife insists on having it around.

A defining element of this beer is a post-fermentation lactic acid addition to brighten the overall perception.

Don’t worry about the extract. Apricot has proven to be non-fake tasting.

5 lbs Pils
3.5 lbs white wheat
Cascade pellets first wort hopped
US05 yeast
RO water with very moderate mineralization
Olive Nation apricot extract

That recipe has been a crowd pleaser for over a decade and my wife insists on having it around.

A defining element of this beer is a post-fermentation lactic acid addition to brighten the overall perception.

Don’t worry about the extract. Apricot has proven to be non-fake tasting.
Somewhat similar to my Apricot Wheat recipe.

59% white wheat
38% 2-row
3% carapils
I shoot for around 25 ibu's. I use 1 oz Centennial at 60 minutes and .33 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh at 10 minutes since I already had those hops in stock first time I made it, and I liked how it turned out.
I prefer a neutral yeast, US-05 works fine.
Silver Cloud/Apex apricot flavoring, (though next time I brew this I'm thinking of using puree instead to see if I prefer it).

I biab and my percentage of wheat makes for a very slow drain after the mash. Beware.
Very good end result though and a definite crowd pleaser. Even my Coors Lite friend couldn't get enough of this one.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will check them out and give the a go. I don't normally like flavored beers, but thought this might be fun to try and I like apricots so why not. Would it be possible to add the amount of hops you guys use?

Initially it's quite cloudy, but with enough time in the keg it does clear. However most times I brew it it's not around long enough to clear. ;)

686400-CB1E2178-FECF-4DDB-96F7-6F1D9A981B2C.jpeg

702835-0E00C894-BA18-4EC4-81A4-F19F658B961A.jpeg

That looks really good. I am going to give it a go. I have another recipe I am going to do next weekend, but that is going to be on the to do list for sure. Thanks

Back