Apricot ale with coopers kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
So this summer I went to a beer festival and tried a delicious apricot ale, I would like to make my own batch, only problem is I'm still a n00b in beer making and still brewing with Coopers kits.

By doing some searching, I've seen that some people have made apricot ales, but it's been from scratch.

Is it possible to add apricot (real apricots or apricot extract?) to my coopers kit, and is there a footprint for how an apricot/beer ratio?

thanks for the help!

Can't help with the footprint or quantity (never made a fruit beer) but the process for fruit beers is to make a light wort like a Cerveza or Canadian Blonde and ferment for a week then add fruit to the secondary. It's best to first squash the fruit a bit then freeze it to break down the cells. Quantity determines strength.

I just completed my first fruit beer about a month ago. I used berries but the process was still the same. I dont use a coopers kit either but I will make some recommendations for you.

I would recommend putting your fruit into the secondary fermenter. This will get messy and if your using Glass carboys is a real pain in the you know what to clean. I used a light malt extract(7lbs) crystal 10 l steeping grains(1lb) and a not so bitter hop(2oz), about 8 cups of berries. Mine turned out great with a light berry taste. I would recommend that you stay with the lighter stuff on the first beer you do with fruit. I havent found out yet but Ive heard that the hoppier and the spicyiness will take away from that fruit flavor your looking for. Keep in mind that alot of that flavor goes away, there will probably be only a light apricot taste. I have also been thinking aobut doing an apricot myself. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Back