Apples in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadux

Reaction score
Hey guys

Recently i made a batch of cider (carbonated, 5%abv). It was decent but it was missing some apple flavour. It was made with juice from concentrate bought in the store. I dont want to buy a press and the fresh pressed juice is mighty expensive (3-6$ per liter). I was wondering if i could make a small ammount of this kind of juics myself with cheesecloth and a blender or if that is suicidal. So that i could mix perhaps 2-3l of homemade cider with 6l of storebought juice so i could get more apple flavour.
Has anypme done this before? Is thwre some other way to get more apple flavour?.
Thanks,
Dadux

I've made acceptable cider with juice from the store that cost about $3 (US) for 1.5 L.
I can get juice cheaper than that, but it makes pretty crappy cider.
The best and cheapest way for me to make cider is to get "seconds" from the local orchard for $6-7 a bushel and press them myself. I get about 2.5 gallons from a bushel, but you could get more with a better press than I use. You can smash the apples in a bucket with a wooden post and press drill holes in another bucket and use a car jack provide the pressing power to get your juice out. You can set up the whole rig for a few bucks if you already have a car jack. There are lots of you tube videos showing how to do this.
To get more flavor from your cider, try fermenting at a low temperature to slow down the process. Play around with different yeasts until you find one you like. Champagne yeast will leave you with very little flavor.
You can also add more frozen apple juice concentrate to your finished cider for more flavor, but keep it cold and drink it right away because it will start fermenting again.

What you say seems good long term but i dont do so much to make a press andnseems like a hassle since i might move soon. Apples are not so cheap here either (sweden) you can pick them during apple season though. But still. I might make or buyba press someday whem i get stablished inna country but not now. The lowet temps i can do though

Hey guys

Recently i made a batch of cider (carbonated, 5%abv). It was decent but it was missing some apple flavour. It was made with juice from concentrate bought in the store. I dont want to buy a press and the fresh pressed juice is mighty expensive (3-6$ per liter). I was wondering if i could make a small ammount of this kind of juics myself with cheesecloth and a blender or if that is suicidal. So that i could mix perhaps 2-3l of homemade cider with 6l of storebought juice so i could get more apple flavour.
Has anypme done this before? Is thwre some other way to get more apple flavour?.
Thanks,
Dadux

You might try adding apple juice concentrate to apple juice (or just adding less water to the concentrate) for more apple flavor & a higher ABV. I do this when I make cider/graff & it works well for me.
Regards, GF.

Sounds good but cant find apple concentrate anywhere...

Try 1/2 cheaper store bought juice and 1/2 more expensive cider type. Also if you have access to cheap/free apples there might be a place to get them pressed for a small fee. Here in BC there are places that make wine or beer for you (Ubrew) and these places usually offer this service.

To get the apple flavour you have to back sweeten a small amout with something but keep in mind that if you use sugar or concentrate, the cider will re-ferment unless kept cold. I have used xylitol which is non fermentable and thought it tasted natural.

Walmart sell Apple Juice concentrate:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Old-Orch...ncentrate-12-fl-oz-Plastic-Container/10805172

Good to know about backsweeten. I can get stevia. Still dont like sweet cider tho. And still not in america so no walmart xddd

No. They carry juice from concentrate. Not concentrate. Thats that.

Good to know about backsweeten. I can get stevia. Still dont like sweet cider tho. And still not in america so no walmart xddd
I also don't like sweet cider. Adding just enough sweetener to balance the acidity and bring some fruit flavour back is perfect and it still will taste dry

Never tried stevia but hear it has a distinctive taste. Sucralose (AKA splenda) is another option although I found it to have a chemical taste.

So i tried juicing some apples with a blender and a cheesecloth and it worked pretty well, i got like 60-70% of the weight out. I did 1kg and got a bit over 600ml. i was thinking i could get 3-4l and mix with comercial apple juice. The thing is that when i blended and strained the stuff, it got REALLY brow. know i know this color is because apples oxidize but my question is, can this still be used? i was gonna add some metabisulfite prior to fermenting. Also dunno if such dark browning is normal.
Thanks,
Dadux

Edit: the stuff tasted pretty darn well even when brown, i measured OG and it was at 1.040. I didnt pasteurize it yet.

Back