AppleKush Recipe Batch#63

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news is I'm gonna try again today. Got me some whole foods 365 aj and some WLP002 yeast. Gonna make a yeast starter this time and add a bit of maltodextrin for body.

Whole foods aj rocks! Comes in a gallon glass jug I can use for future brews.

Nice WLP002 should work nicely. Was it pretty foggy cider to start with?

My 1 gallon batch a few days in

1392443553984.jpg

Is that a thing...? Dry hopping, with... Well, you know.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

Yes dry hopping is real you should do some research on it it's actually pretty cool and if you like hops and make cider regularly u might as well give it a try. I recommend finding what kind of hop taste you like first, for me i like light lager and hefe hops everyone is different though..

Really cloudy juice. Whole foods doesn't filter their AJ. No additives either, NFC. Tastes better than most ciders I've had and smells fantastic.

Taking no chances this time. Sanitized everything with io star and prepped a yeast starter 2 days ago (smells fzntastic after 2 days, 1/2 inch if yeast on the bottom). Boiling all the sugar in a bit of water to be on the safe side before adding to the juice.

Has anyone ever tried a hybrid between this and Graff?

I have always wanted to brew a cider, as I like them in general but often find them a bit dry and thin. To that end, I've always wanted to try a malted cider. The skinny on the Graff seems to be that, while it certainly seems delicious, it is a bit drier and isn't quite as bursting with apple flavor as this recipe. What would happen if I substituted a little DME+torrified wheat for some of the turbinado sugar? Has anyone ever tried something similar?

I understand that it complicates the recipe quite a bit, but I'd be willing to endure for a great cider :)

AppleKush take 2.

2gal whole foods 365 AJ
WLP002 yeast (starter made 2days ago)
50 ml turbinado
30 ml table sugar
1tsp yeast nutrient
OG juice 1.053
OG juice + sugar 1.060
Bacardi gold rum in the airlocks :p (just in case some back flows into the must.)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392504856.568033.jpg

Has anyone ever tried a hybrid between this and Graff?

I have always wanted to brew a cider, as I like them in general but often find them a bit dry and thin. To that end, I've always wanted to try a malted cider. The skinny on the Graff seems to be that, while it certainly seems delicious, it is a bit drier and isn't quite as bursting with apple flavor as this recipe. What would happen if I substituted a little DME+torrified wheat for some of the turbinado sugar? Has anyone ever tried something similar?

I understand that it complicates the recipe quite a bit, but I'd be willing to endure for a great cider :)

You would be the first.. Ill be dry hopping a gallon of A.K. in about a month.
I've always wanted to try a brew a lager cider with rice extract as a substitute for dextrose and dry hop.. I just haven't had the right conditions for lagering.

If you do it please keep me posted!!!

Those pictures were very impressive. How long do you let your cider carb to become so bubbly? Also, are you going to to fry hop your cider with actual kush?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Those pictures were very impressive. How long do you let your cider carb to become so bubbly? Also, are you going to to fry hop your cider with actual kush?

No but that's pretty funny its just so damn good i called it the kush! I forced carved in keg at 38psi @ 70degrees for 1 week. I also carb with priming sugar occasionally since i only have one keg and it's usually got something in it. When i do that i transfer from secondary to bottling carboy with 3/4 cup of sugar pinch of nutrient give a light shake then bottle then let prime for 20 days then enjoy... :mug:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anybody brewing this if you could update everyone with some pics that would be appreciated!

Orgeonbrewer how long do you let yours ferment? It's been 2 weeks here and it's cleared up now. Not sure if I should let it go a couple more weeks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I let mine ferment in Primary for five days at 70 degrees or till it reaches 1.010 then i transfer to secondary and let it sit till it reaches 1.005 which usually takes 3-5days then i transfer to bottling bucket mix with 3/4 cup of sugar pinch of dap and bottle then let prime for three weeks and enjoy. Yours will be fine, just on the dryer side which you may prefer. I would bottle it if i were you, but my partner and i like it pretty sweet so When brewed exactly to my instructions it makes what some have called a crispin clone and i highly agree! Im excited to see how the brown sugar turns out though!

DAP aka diamonium phosphate and its excellent for cider i never have problems with sulfur/rhino farts nada it always smells like apple jolly ranchers instead :D. for the longest time i called it anti sulfuric acid like a dip ship lol it works like a anti so2 in brewing at least.. give it a try if your having smelly issues

I let mine ferment in Primary for five days at 70 degrees or till it reaches 1.010 then i transfer to secondary and let it sit till it reaches 1.005 which usually takes 3-5days then i transfer to bottling bucket mix with 3/4 cup of sugar pinch of dap and bottle then let prime for three weeks and enjoy. Yours will be fine, just on the dryer side which you may prefer. I would bottle it if i were you, but my partner and i like it pretty sweet so When brewed exactly to my instructions it makes what some have called a crispin clone and i highly agree! Im excited to see how the brown sugar turns out though!

Oh wow, thats a really fast turn around! I was planning on waiting 4 weeks but after I read this, I decided to go ahead and cold crash it now (since I don't feel like bottling today) If this turns out as good as it sounds I might be making a 5 gallon batch for my keg soon.

IMG_20140227_133403.jpg

AppleKush take 2.

2gal whole foods 365 AJ
WLP002 yeast (starter made 2days ago)
50 ml turbinado
30 ml table sugar
1tsp yeast nutrient
OG juice 1.053
OG juice + sugar 1.060
Bacardi gold rum in the airlocks :p (just in case some back flows into the must.)

Two weeks in primary left at 1.006 right at 1.004 letting it go in secondary for another week them prime and bottle. Sample tastes awesome!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393806203.964966.jpg

I only made a gallon batch, I drank half today after cold crashing. The other half I put in a smaller container with .2 oz of simcoe, I'll let it sit for a week or so then give it a taste

1393829027186.jpg

I only made a gallon batch, I drank half today after cold crashing. The other half I put in a smaller container with .2 oz of simcoe, I'll let it sit for a week or so then give it a taste
wait simcoe hops? nice let me know how it turns out. How did you like the first half?

Oregonbrewer, have you had any problems with bottle bombs using this method?
Elsewhere you refer to using stovetop pasteurization for your dry batches with champagne yeast, have you found that the Notty batches do not need this, or do you pasteurize all bottles and im just missing something?

Oregonbrewer, have you had any problems with bottle bombs using this method?
Elsewhere you refer to using stovetop pasteurization for your dry batches with champagne yeast, have you found that the Notty batches do not need this, or do you pasteurize all bottles and im just missing something?

I do not pasteurize because i have pop top bottles and i drink it within a month or so with help of course :D but if your using crown cap bottles and carbing then i would recommend stove top pasteurization just to be safe. hope that helps!

I made some labels for this brew and for a recipe ill be sharing soon…
what do you think?
and of course
THESE ARE FOR MY HOME USE ONLY! NO DISTRIBUTION OR RE-SALE !

SLIGHTLYSTOOPID LABEL.png

ciderlabel2.jpg

DSCF0688.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

So I brought a case out to a party this last weekend. My friends parents owns a winery and his brother works at a brewery. They tried my applekush and were highly impressed. His bro asked me if a would share my recipe and also for a few bottles to show some people he works with he said he wants to try to brew it himself. His dad asked me to brew another batch so he could buy some off me and told me i should think about selling this... Lol anyways I'm considering taking this recipe off the internet and making it classified info!! Haha Jk, i love to hear stuff like this though, it makes brewing even more addicting!!

This thread has made me so thirsty. I'm going to have to get back on the Homebrew horse and ride again very soon....

My new white oak barrel arrived today. I want to age some a.k. In it this weekend but how should I sanitize it. Can you use Star San in wood barrels?

So I brought a case out to a party this last weekend. My friends parents owns a winery and his brother works at a brewery. They tried my applekush and were highly impressed. His bro asked me if a would share my recipe and also for a few bottles to show some people he works with he said he wants to try to brew it himself. His dad asked me to brew another batch so he could buy some off me and told me i should think about selling this... Lol anyways I'm considering taking this recipe off the internet and making it classified info!! Haha Jk, i love to hear stuff like this though, it makes brewing even more addicting!!

thats awesome man! make that $$

I made some labels for this brew and for a recipe ill be sharing soon…
what do you think?
and of course
THESE ARE FOR MY HOME USE ONLY! NO DISTRIBUTION OR RE-SALE !

SS's Closer to the Sun album cover... cool man. Man, i haven't seen them live in ages. Such a fun band!

SS's Closer to the Sun album cover... cool man. Man, i haven't seen them live in ages. Such a fun band!

Funny you bring that up I'm going to there show in eugene oregon real soon!! And whoever asked about the Belgian yeast no i have not tried it.

I asked about the Belgian yeast. Have you tried Crispin "the Saint"? It is fermented with a Belgian yeast. For mine, I used a mix of WLP530 and the dregs of two bottles of Crispin (the red label). One of the yeasts took over in a few days, fermented for a few weeks, and is now clarifying.

6 Lg Bottles of Langers [(4 apple cider)-(2 Apple Juice) the difference is the apple veriety and flavor but both the same company and price].

681 grams of light turbinado sugar I use a triple beam balance scale to weigh.

400 grams of dextrose

Question.... I know someone already asked... but I didn't see a reply...

Are these 64 oz bottles? ...... Making a 3 gallon batch?
only reason I ask is I want to do a 5 gallon and want to get the sugar proportions correct....

Thanks!

Question.... I know someone already asked... but I didn't see a reply...

Are these 64 oz bottles? ...... Making a 3 gallon batch?
only reason I ask is I want to do a 5 gallon and want to get the sugar proportions correct....

Thanks!

Five us gallons

Back