AppleJack rookie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
I have a glass carboy full of aged, dry cider that I want use for my first try at applejack. Obviously I cant freeze it in the glass carboy, but I'm not sure what would be best to freeze in? I live in Wisconsin so freezer space isnt an issue.

Most of what I've seen has been people using just and then turning them upside down and slowly draining. Is there any reason people do that instead of just using a bucket or something?

I use a bunch of one gal. milk jugs. I squeeze out the headspace and tighten the top. The jug will then expand with the ice.

I use a bunch of one gal. milk jugs. I squeeze out the headspace and tighten the top. The jug will then expand with the ice.

Then I assume you just balance the jug on a mason jar or something? Do you do that at room temp or freezing?

Room temp. Fill it up. Squeeze it. Tighten the lid. Then I freeze them outside overnight.

Room temp. Fill it up. Squeeze it. Tighten the lid. Then I freeze them outside overnight.

Copy that, but how do you get the concentrate cider out of the jug? The vid I watched just let the cider drip out through the ice, but then how do you know if youre getting cider or melted ice?

I mostly ferment in 1 gallon jugs, and after being in the freezer 5 or 6 days and seeing a slight separation with some of the alcohol rising to the top, I turn my jug upside down into a large glass measuring cup until the ice is basically clear, (usually about half of the liquid volume) pour into a clean jug and freeze again. That 1/2 gallon or so drains off to around a quart, and there is no mistake; there is apple flavored alcohol in there. I must add this current batch had an initial gravity of 1.120+ so I know by reducing by half and then by half again I am somewhere north of 40 % ABV. How far north I am unable to measure...

That 1/2 gallon or so drains off to around a quart, and there is no mistake; there is apple flavored alcohol in there. I must add this current batch had an initial gravity of 1.120+ so I know by reducing by half and then by half again I am somewhere north of 40 % ABV. How far north I am unable to measure...

I've never been able to get rid of more than 55% of the volume. After that the remainder just gets thicker but no ice forms. How cold are you freezing it? I do mine outside when the temps are close to 0 deg. F

At this moment, I just put my probe into my freezer to see where the temp is. In my experience it takes days in the freezer for the "secondary" freezing. My freezer is presently @ -11*F. A 40% Ethanol solution freezes @ -10*F, and mine has liquid alcohol floating on the top, so I know that portion at least, is north of 40%, the rest I don't know. I tried to use a distiller's hydrometer, but there is too much residual sugar to get an accurate reading.

Back