apple wine slow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlewolfrus

Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure whether I should have posted this in the wine section or the cider.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get a stuck fermentation going with apples?

Making an apple wine, I started with cider about 5 weeks ago and got an OG of 1.1. It was somewhat steady for a week or so and slowed to a crawl since. I'd say one bubble every two minutes. Because it was still steady I left it as I have other things fermenting and wasn't in a rush.

I finally took a reading last week and the OG was at 1.04. I decided to start another pack of yeast (Lalvin 1118) with some nutrient and throw it in there about 5 days ago. Today the reading was at 1.025 but it's slowed down to a crawl again.

Would adding anything else help? I've seen people add pectic enzyme to basically the same recipe but I'm not sure what the point of adding it to something that has no pulp do anything. Nor see how it would help the yeast.

Any advice?

Might try de-gassing the applewine. I've read that's an important thing to do in making grape wine, so I don't know why it wouldn't be in apple wine. :)

The only thing you need to do is to BE PATIENT. Cider can't be rushed, especially not good cider (or apple wine). Leave it alone for another month, then see where it's at. Leave it alone!

Thanks guys for the advice.

From what I think I know isn't the Lalvin 1118 yeast tolerant up to about 18%?

What I forgot to mention in my post is that the apple wine is pretty carbonated. It's a first for me to have something carbonate while it's fermenting. Basically everything I've brewed has been as flat as water while fermenting.

Thanks guys for the advice.

From what I think I know isn't the Lalvin 1118 yeast tolerant up to about 18%?

What I forgot to mention in my post is that the apple wine is pretty carbonated. It's a first for me to have something carbonate while it's fermenting. Basically everything I've brewed has been as flat as water while fermenting.

Try de-gassing... gently run a wire whisk through the cider. They also make a special tool for this. :) Yeast is pretty sensitive to carbonic acid, from what I have read on here.

Thanks for the replies. Just posting a follow up. I basically left it alone. The temp was at was about 66 initially. I brought it up to about 70 since I put the extra yeast about a week ago when I got the reading of 1.04.

Since my last reading of 1.025 two days ago, it's now at 1.018 and seems to be bubbling slowly but consistently. I want it a bit sweet so I'm looking to get about 1.012 and I'll consider that good enough.

Seems like it'll turn out after all!

Back