Apple skin flavor in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aellis

Reaction score
I was in New York over the holidays, and I had a chance to try some tasty ciders at different places.

At Maison Premiere in Brooklyn, I had a Cyril Zangs 14 glos., from Normandy. It was spectacular - it had a great apple skin flavor to it. My question is, is there a good way to get that kind of apple skin flavor in home brewed cider? Is that where malic acid comes in?

If you happen to be in Astoria, Queens, check out the Queens Kickshaw. They have an extensive bottled cider list, and a few on tap as well. They also have kombucha ale, which was interesting and strange.

Thats interesting, I wonder if they crushed the apples and then macerated the pulp for a long time before pressing? Maybe they have an apple over there for cidermaking that we dont have over here? Did it taste more tannic than others you have tried? WVMJ

Thats interesting, I wonder if they crushed the apples and then macerated the pulp for a long time before pressing? Maybe they have an apple over there for cidermaking that we dont have over here? Did it taste more tannic than others you have tried? WVMJ

To be honest, a couple days ago I had an Angry Orchard Iceman, and it had a lot of the same flavor, but was a bit sweeter. I'd love to know how to duplicate that flavor, as it was pretty amazing.

Latest posts

Back