Apple Press Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of making my first apple/fruit press. I really don't have any plans that I am following but more so by sight and guessing from images that I have seen while searching. Currently, I have started to make the basket but I'm not sure actually how big or how small to make it. Right now I have a basket size 10" diameter and 12 " height. Keeping in mind I'll only building a small piece to make a few gallons each fall.

Anyone care to share any information that may be beneficial during this process.

Cheers

This is my goal ..

$(KGrHqQOKjIE3vIwCOPhBN+qPw6(Mw~~0_12.JPG

The size sounds about right for a small press.

I just built two baskets and a new deck for an antique cider press that had been around the farm long enough to rot apart. At some point the rings for the baskets went awol, so I had to make them too.

On mine, the limiting factor is getting the baskets under the spout from the crusher, on yours, it will be getting it under the screw. Size it all accordingly, and it'll all work out OK.

I zipped out some disks of 3/4 plywood for the press. I need to screw a block on to each disk to make them easier to grab off the top of the pressed out pomace. I do not use bags or cheese cloth, just grind the apples in to the basket, and press them down to about half volume or a bit less. Really diminished returns awaiting the last few turns of the screw.

Beware the squirting pomace! :)

TeeJo

I'm planning to build a bottom drain rack into the basket to keep the apples up as I am going to be limited to about 8 inches of threads on my screw mechanism. So this in conjunction of a 2 inch header block should give me plenty of thread to press the apples. My plan was to use a bag while pressing although still not convinced that this is the best method.

Depends how much you wish to process in a day.

I don't bother with a bag, figure I can rip all the results through a strainer bag after the fact a lot faster than horsing around trying to get the pomace in and out of the bags during pressing.

This allows me to press out the fruit while grinding another basket full, and the changeover time from on basket to another is essentially the amount of time it takes to crank the screw back up full height again, swing the pressed results out of the press over a tub, and push the cheese out.

The chickens like it! :)

It's all good! You will figure out really quickly what works for your needs, once you get it going.

TeeJo

I designed my basket around the plan of using a bag because I left 1/4" gaps between the slats. So this most likely be a big mess without the use of a bag.

Back