Apple Pie Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_whaley

Reaction score
This is a recipe I wrote about a year ago that has been very well received by my beta-drinkers :cross: and other people who like meads and their cousins.

Apple Pie Cyser is a recipe I've formulated that borrows from melomels and metheglins. Once fermented, you can bottle as a wine, or prime for a secondary fermentation to lightly carbonate the cyser. The final product is medium-sweet (sweeter than semi-dry, but doesn't lose the slightly bitter edge that a fully sweet wine would have). It will be very drinkable at room temperature or chilled - your choice.

What You'll Need: Ingredients

3 - gallons apple juice (pasteurized, no preservative other than Vitamin C-ascorbic acid)
2-1/2 - pounds honey (Either all clover, or 2# clover and 1/2# buckwheat)
2 - pounds dark brown sugar
1 - Tablespoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice
3 - cinnamon sticks
2 - cans apple juice concentrate
1 - 5 gram package Lalvin 71B-1122 Wine Yeast (EC-1118 for a dryer taste)

Put the first half of the juice in your primary fermentation vessel:

Activate your yeast unless you're using pitchable yeast (like from Wyeast).

Start 1 quart of juice warming on the stove. Stir in the spices and add the cinnamon sticks. Let it simmer but do not boil!

Whilst the juice is warming and simmering, aerate the juice in your jugs/carboy/pail.

Once the juice reaches simmering temperature, take it off the heat and stir in the honey and sugar. Once it is dissolved, add to the juice in your primary vessel.

Mix the sugar/spice mix into the juice well.

Add the activated yeast (pitch).

Don't forget to get the cinnamon sticks into the mix!

At this point, you're ready to go. Install the fermentation locks on the vessels, and put everything a fairly cool place where the temperature doesn't vary much.

My kitchen stays about 68 degrees at all times unless we have the oven going; this is a good temperature range for this particular yeast.

The primary fermentation should take 2 to 3 weeks. Generally I'll wait until the bubbling in the fermentation lock is at less than 1 bubble per minute.

Time to rack or bottle:

Pour the two cans of apple juice concentrate into your secondary container.

Dissolve the remaining 1/2 pound of honey in 2 cups of warm water, and then stir into the apple juice concentrate

Siphon the cyser from the primary into the secondary, leaving the sediment behind.

Prime the cyser with the the honey-water-concentrate mix, then bottle.

This will be nicely drinkable in another 2-3 weeks. At about 6 months, it rocks!

Once bottled, let set for another 1-2 weeks, and the cyser is ready to drink.

Enjoy!

done.jpg

Do you need to pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs? It seems like 2 cans of FCAJ and 1/2lb honey would be quite a bit of sugar to just carbonate.

Sounds very tasty though!

Do you need to pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs? It seems like 2 cans of FCAJ and 1/2lb honey would be quite a bit of sugar to just carbonate.

Sounds very tasty though!
Why would you pasteurise anything ? It's not beer with its low alcohol, residual non-fermentables and prone to spoilage.....

Its not milk/dairy with the potential of tuberculin strain pathogens......

Its mead, which like wine, just needs managing correctly and not be exposed to a harsh, over the top, potentially damaging process like that.....

I agree... How do you keep the bottles from blowing with that much sugar added? Bottle pasteurizing seems to be the only route to go.

Interesting! I found this recipe online and I made a batch on 9/27 (2 weeks ago). It's still happily bubbling away. It smelled wonderful going into the fermenter, and the bubbles smell pretty good out of the airlock, too.

I second others' questions though - how do you add so much sugar into the secondary and then bottle? Doesn't it cause carbonation problems? I'm a little leery of that...but I'm going forward with it one way or another.

Oh - one other question that i had while creating the must. When you say in the priming part "dissolve the remaining 1/2# of honey" do you mean that this recipe actually uses 3# of honey (2 1/2# listed in ingredients + 1/2# at bottling), or is the 2 1/2# listed in the recipe meaning 2lbs in the must, then the remaining 1/2# at bottling? Since the recipe said "remaining" I took it to mean put 2lbs in the must, then the other 1/2# is used at bottling. Hopefully you didn't mean 3lbs total for the recipe! I think I'll be fine either way.

My OG was 1.085 - seemed like it was probably okay?

Interesting! I found this recipe online and I made a batch on 9/27 (2 weeks ago). It's still happily bubbling away. It smelled wonderful going into the fermenter, and the bubbles smell pretty good out of the airlock, too.

I second others' questions though - how do you add so much sugar into the secondary and then bottle? Doesn't it cause carbonation problems? I'm a little leery of that...but I'm going forward with it one way or another.

Oh - one other question that i had while creating the must. When you say in the priming part "dissolve the remaining 1/2# of honey" do you mean that this recipe actually uses 3# of honey (2 1/2# listed in ingredients + 1/2# at bottling), or is the 2 1/2# listed in the recipe meaning 2lbs in the must, then the remaining 1/2# at bottling? Since the recipe said "remaining" I took it to mean put 2lbs in the must, then the other 1/2# is used at bottling. Hopefully you didn't mean 3lbs total for the recipe! I think I'll be fine either way.

My OG was 1.085 - seemed like it was probably okay?

Bump with hope for an answer to the recipe question.

Also, regarding "bottle bombs" this shouldn't really be a problem. This recipe has a lot of sugar in it, and the resulting alcohol % should pretty much kill the yeast at expected alcohol content...so it's not like the yeast has a lot of room to work with before fizzling out. The apple juice and honey addition at 'priming' likely just gives a bit of backsweetening.

My concern is the confusion regarding how much honey to add into the must, and how much to add at priming. Is the total honey added 3lbs, or 2 1/2lbs?

Given that I might have undermixed 1/2lb of honey into the must, I'm thinking it's in my best interest to figure out my alcohol % and see if I have to add more fermentables before bottling...otherwise I could end up with bottle bombs :)

Well, since airlock activity stopped, I checked the gravity of my apple pie cyser and it was at 1.006 - I started with 1.085, so that worked out to 10.37% ABV. Still room for those yeast to work, since 71B-1122 goes to about 14%. So, I threw in the 5.5oz of dark brown sugar that I'd shorted the must at the start (I only had 1lb 10.5oz of dark brown sugar on hand, my mistake). There was happy bubbling last night but no more this morning. I'll let things settle for a few more days and then see where the gravity is.

I'm beginning to suspect that I should have thrown in 2 1/2lb of honey in the must, then another 1/2lb at bottling. That would mean a total of 3lbs of honey.

I'll see how far the additional brown sugar gets me, then decide if I want to add in the 1/2lb of honey to the must as well.

I also pulled the cinnamon sticks out of the must last night, while aerating and adding the brown sugar. A taste of my hydrometer reading sample was rather spicy/peppery, so I think the cinnamon sticks have done their job.

Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply - I don't have internet at home and having a few wee ones underfoot keeps my days very full. Thanks for all of your comments and questions. I'll be glad to provide a few answers.

I'm on holiday right now. When I get home I will check my notes for the recipe and see what sort of SG I ran during the course and post back within the next week.

In the meantime...

- I don't pasteurize, as I start with juice and honey that's already pasteurized and it seems any more would be overkill and probably not do the flavor any favors. And, as doing so afterward would kill the carbonation, I refrain then as well. I also don't use sulfites or sorbates, as I try to stay as faithful to the old ways as possible when they didn't have such things.

- Honey: my apologies. It's 2.5# for the entire recipe; 2# at the start, and the other 1/2# as a backsweetener. I see that I wasn't entirely clear in how I wrote this in the recipe.

In retrospect this was maybe (maybe) pushing it a bit for sugar content. My objective was to create a well-mannered cyser with a high ABV... a "sipper" instead of something you might guzzle. Unless of course you're a manly Viking type and sipping is not in your vocabulary :D.

I was successful in this respect; after the cyser had matured enough for the edge to come off, a 6oz glass of this stuff consumed over a couple hours produced a very pleasant, warm feeling and 8oz made it hard to get off the couch.

You could probably leave off the AJC at the end without changing things too much.

- Bottle bomb concerns: haven't had any worries here. I use heavy glass growler bottles because they're very durable. I use 16oz and 750ml growlers.

Our local grocery store sells a carbonated lemonade that comes in the 750ml growler for about $5.50 per bottle. Since my kids like the stuff and I can't get a much lower price from a supplier (plus shipping), I just get them one at a time at the grocer's and it's a win-win.

I did, though, have a fairly spectacular geyer in the kitchen last summer when I opened one of the 750ml bottles... forgot to chill before opening. Ah, well.

If you have any other questions, please ask, I'm glad to answer. Helps me improve...

Cheers, all!

Russ

Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply - I don't have internet at home and having a few wee ones underfoot keeps my days very full. Thanks for all of your comments and questions. I'll be glad to provide a few answers.

I'm on holiday right now. When I get home I will check my notes for the recipe and see what sort of SG I ran during the course and post back within the next week.

In the meantime...

- I don't pasteurize, as I start with juice and honey that's already pasteurized and it seems any more would be overkill and probably not do the flavor any favors. And, as doing so afterward would kill the carbonation, I refrain then as well. I also don't use sulfites or sorbates, as I try to stay as faithful to the old ways as possible when they didn't have such things.

- Honey: my apologies. It's 2.5# for the entire recipe; 2# at the start, and the other 1/2# as a backsweetener. I see that I wasn't entirely clear in how I wrote this in the recipe.

In retrospect this was maybe (maybe) pushing it a bit for sugar content. My objective was to create a well-mannered cyser with a high ABV... a "sipper" instead of something you might guzzle. Unless of course you're a manly Viking type and sipping is not in your vocabulary :D.

I was successful in this respect; after the cyser had matured enough for the edge to come off, a 6oz glass of this stuff consumed over a couple hours produced a very pleasant, warm feeling and 8oz made it hard to get off the couch.

You could probably leave off the AJC at the end without changing things too much.

- Bottle bomb concerns: haven't had any worries here. I use heavy glass growler bottles because they're very durable. I use 16oz and 750ml growlers.

Our local grocery store sells a carbonated lemonade that comes in the 750ml growler for about $5.50 per bottle. Since my kids like the stuff and I can't get a much lower price from a supplier (plus shipping), I just get them one at a time at the grocer's and it's a win-win.

I did, though, have a fairly spectacular geyer in the kitchen last summer when I opened one of the 750ml bottles... forgot to chill before opening. Ah, well.

If you have any other questions, please ask, I'm glad to answer. Helps me improve...

Cheers, all!

Russ

Thanks for the reply, Russ! And thank you so much for the recipe.

Big thanks as well for clarifying on the honey amount - glad I interpreted it right :) 2lbs in the must, 1/2# at bottling. Got it!

I racked my cyser from primary to secondary Saturday morning, without adding the AJC or 1/2# honey (wanted it to clear for awhile before bottling).

I ended up with enough cyser to fill three 1 gallon jugs (the ones that the apple juice came in) to near the top for clarifying, and then I got two additional 12 ounce bottles - one I bottled still, the other I dropped a Northern Brewer "Fizz Drop" in. We'll see how those turn out - nice to have a couple little samples of the cyser while it finishes :)

I did sneak a sip from the racking cane when all done with racking and bottling. Adding that 5.5oz of dark brown sugar and removing the cinnamon sticks after 2 weeks in the primary made a BIG difference in flavor, it really tasted quite amazing! Sweet, but not too sweet right now.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, and how it improves with age.

Thanks again for the recipe, and the clarifications!

Sidenote for anyone buying apple juice for this (or any cyser): I got "Indian Summer" pasteurized apple juice, and the bottom of the plastic jug is actually tapered quite nicely with a raised dimple in the middle, perfect for resting a racking cane on. I ended up drilling a hole in the cap, fitting a bucket grommet, and using the jugs for my secondaries. When done you can either recycle them (pull the grommet off) or use them for 1 gallon fermenters/experiments.

Hi all,

I really like the tweak you've made, adding some of the dark brown sugar after the primary fermentation had slowed, and taking out the cinnamon at that point. I'm going to add this to my notes, it's a great idea.

I checked my notes from hydrometer readings... Apple Pie Cyser started with an SG of 1.091 and ended at 1.006. Unless I've muffed the math, this works out to an ABV around 12.5%.

Next time I do this one, I'm going prime with only honey and leave off the AJC to get a dryer finish.

Now, back to my Fall scheming. I've enjoyed a couple good ginger ciders in the last month. Seems like a melomel might be a good base.

Looking forward to hanging with you guys some more. This is great!

Hi all,

I really like the tweak you've made, adding some of the dark brown sugar after the primary fermentation had slowed, and taking out the cinnamon at that point. I'm going to add this to my notes, it's a great idea.

I checked my notes from hydrometer readings... Apple Pie Cyser started with an SG of 1.091 and ended at 1.006. Unless I've muffed the math, this works out to an ABV around 12.5%.

Next time I do this one, I'm going prime with only honey and leave off the AJC to get a dryer finish.

Now, back to my Fall scheming. I've enjoyed a couple good ginger ciders in the last month. Seems like a melomel might be a good base.

Looking forward to hanging with you guys some more. This is great!

Thanks for the hydrometer readings - that's very helpful to know where I should end up!

As I'm going to be passing this on to others for a holiday treat, I think the sweeter version would go over better, so I'll be adding the AJC in. I actually might leave 1 of my 3 secondaries still, and then bottle the other 2 with an appropriate proportion of AJC and honey.

Looking forward to seeing you around here :)

Following this recipie to a "T" with the exception of adding 1.5 tsp each of DAP and fermaid i just finished putting 3 gallons in primary. I'll report as we go:). Any news as to backsweeten vs. carb vs. sorbate and keg vs. etc?

How much cinnamon character are you getting? I'm hoping for something reminiscent of an apple pie filling and can't get the cinnamon to come out right. It's always to weak or woody. Is there a special supplier you like to use? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I have been using Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans and have gotten some very good vanilla notes out of it. I usually just add the bean to my secondary till it hits the flavor I like. The only time I added it to primary, I got some off flavors. JMO of course.

How much cinnamon character are you getting? I'm hoping for something reminiscent of an apple pie filling and can't get the cinnamon to come out right. It's always to weak or woody. Is there a special supplier you like to use? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I initially felt it was woody, but with some time in secondary with 1 stick of cinnamon and time in bottles it's mellowed to spiciness, not woody.

Hey all I got 3 gallons of this into primary at 4:50pm today (3/7/14). I used 2lb of honey and was about a half cup to cup of brown sugar short from one of my boxes due to my hard cider.lol but even with that I had an og of 1.090. Figured that'd add to the mean of the og of the must in this thread. I also had a slow start on this "fast acting" yeast. It just started bubbling at 11:30ish. And before it even gets said I know airlock activity isn't a sign of how strong fermentation is but I can't see inside my plastic primary and I don't want to open and infect it. So that being said I know I'm forgetting 90% of the other stuff I wanted to saylol. so I'm sure ill be back soon

So a week and a half in and fermentation is steadily chugging along and has slowed dramatically this week. Going to take a gravity reading later. How long does this stuff take to clear? Also anyone keg? Was thinking about backsweetening a tad with honey then into the keg with a low charge of co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So a week and a half in and fermentation is steadily chugging along and has slowed dramatically this week. Going to take a gravity reading later. How long does this stuff take to clear? Also anyone keg? Was thinking about backsweetening a tad with honey then into the keg with a low charge of co2.

I spent several weeks topping off with honey to backsweeten. I'm going to guess on average I let this sit for 6-8 weeks to clear. And it was amazingly perfectly clear at that point.

I didn't keg, I put mine into wine bottles and a few flip top pint bottles.

I spent several weeks topping off with honey to backsweeten. I'm going to guess on average I let this sit for 6-8 weeks to clear. And it was amazingly perfectly clear at that point.

I didn't keg, I put mine into wine bottles and a few flip top pint bottles.

Are you worried about carbonation at all or did your abv kill off the yeast? i want to put mine into wine bottles but im worried about it carbonating

Are you worried about carbonation at all or did your abv kill off the yeast? i want to put mine into wine bottles but im worried about it carbonating

ABV killed the yeast. I just kept backsweetening until I saw no activity in the airlock. I would say I added about an additional 1/2 can of apple juice concentrate for each gallon to top out the yeasts ABV potential.

No carbonation in any of my bottles so far, just sweet apply goodness with a hint of cinnamon.

Awesome mines a week in right now and still producing positive pressure from the airlock. I know it's not a tell of how far along it is but when it's chugging like it is I know it's going well. I'm goin to let it go another week an see what happens. Mabey 2 weeks. Only the sg can tell. My og was 1.090

Well I'm sitting here thoroughly enjoying my hydrometer sample. The primary is finished with a fg of .999-1.000. Going to rack tomorrow when I grab the cans of concentrate I need. Would go get it now but I had some of my buddies home brew before and this cyser is just kick starting my warm fuzzy feeling. Lol. I'm hesitant to even rack with extra fermentables because I'm already good to bottle flat. Idk. My brain is in its most creative state right now so the thoughts and ideas are racing. Lol. Has anyone racked into secondary without adding? How was the finished product? I have a lovely not to strong not to weak cinnamon flavor. Lovely apple flavor and a thickkkkk mouthfeel which I'm guessing is from the honey. Oh and my og was 1.090. Sorry for the ramblings. 🍻

Just racked to secondary 3 days ago and it's clearing nicely(used 1122 yeast). It fermented dry .999ish and the hydrometer sample was great. Honey flavor, hint of cinnamon, apple flavor with a slight...very slight sweetness. I'm torn, May add AJ concentrate to secondary but then fermentation would kick off again. Thinking of letting it clear, putting sorbate in them kegging, chilling then adding a little honey/AJ concentrate for a little sweetness. I'll let y'all know. I'm really liking this yeast! Normally I make cider with 1118, thinking about switching.

Wow. I'm honored that so many of you are enjoying the recipe so much. Thanks for trying and tweaking!
The cinnamon I used was bog-common sticks from my neighborhood grocer. The cinnamon character was a little harsh to start, but it did blend and mellow very nicely. I'm going to have to try vanilla beans as an added flavor next time. Great idea!

Cheers!

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Stuff is delish. I would have just went to secondary to clear then bottle condition because I liked it but swmbo says it was a little dry for her and she's the wine expert. So back sweetening it is. Lol

I am gonna do it this way first then make 3 gallons for me. She doesn't like beer and I have plenty homebrew to hold me over till another batch of cyser is ready. Lol

Followed the recipe for the most part but to due cost and availability half the brown sugar was switched to white and I had to approximate the Macormick (I know it is spelled incorrectly) ingredients as it is not to be found in Sweden.

It tasted amazing day 1 after bottling (I pastuerized for fear of bombs). It does have quite the kick though! Glad I have 22 liters waiting for me only getting better!

Thanks for the recipe!

I made this recipe too- turned out great. I used brown sugar for carbonation, and added a little extra apple pie spice. One oughtn't worry too much about brown or white sugar. In a pinch, add a little molasses to make up the difference, but as you've found, it shouldn't be too much of a problem in beverages. Baking though, different story!

I can't even imagine how hard it would be to find proper molasses here!

I will have to experiment a bit but as is the recipe is quite good.

Thanks guys! I'm waiting for the cooler fall weather so I can get another batch rolling myself.

I did a little quick research, and found a recipe to make your own pumpkin pie spice at allrecipes.com. If you can't get the McCormick blend, this is virtually the same:

4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
4 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons ground allspice

Cheers!

Russ

This sounds amazing! What would be suggested as portion amount for a 1 gal batch (that's the only size carboys I have at the moment, at least till I get things going and figured out)?

Trying to figure this out!!

Hey, thanks for checking out my recipe. I've made this using 3, 1-gallon glass jugs, so it's definitely doable. If you can, mix everything up in one container and then divide into thirds.

If you're going for a 1 gallon batch, most ingredients can just be scaled back proportionately. I like cinnamon, so I usually use a full stick in each bottle.

As another option, I posted some plans for a DIY fermentation pail on my blog this week. If you want more capacity but are short on funds, it might be of interest to you. Here's the link:

http://www.russwhaley.com/diy-fermentation-bucket/

Have fun!

One other thing, do you know how much difference it will make to use light brown sugar?

Trying to figure this out!!

It will shift the flavors a bit, but it won't ruin it. I encourage experimentation. Sometimes, drinking your mistakes is fun!

Latest posts

Back