apple mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbarrera

Reaction score
So I just acquired a peck of apples from my mom. She has had them for a while now and hasn't had time to do anything with them so she asked me to do something with them before they go bad. I started 5 gallons of wildflower mead on 11/12/13 and I was wondering if it would be okay to add half now and freeze the other half and add in secondary. Or if I should just freeze them all now and add them all in secondary. Any advice?

Sounds like you are trying to ruin a good batch of wildflower mead. You are not going to get a lot of apple taste and just end up making your mead cloudy. A better idea may be to make a gallon of cyser with them, freeze the apples, crush them up and add everything to a bucket and ferment it out like that, dont forget some pectinase. You will get a much better batch of cyser and not ruin your big batch of mead. WVMJ

Nah, it'd likely work ok but puree'd apple is whats done before pressing for juice.

I suspect it'd be a bit of a bugger to remove the solids later on, and is better pressed first.

But as Jack points out its easier to add pectolase after the pulp has been pressed to remove the juice and sort any pectin issues.....

Latest posts

Back