Apple Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfehon

Reaction score
I went apple picking this week and got some really good, tart fall apples and started thinking about an apple lambic. Has anyone used apples with a sour ale? I've heard the pectin can be a problem. How do I get the sweet/tart flavor of these delicious apples into a beer? If I brewed a lambic now it would give the beer a year to age before next fall's apples are ripe. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Chop up the apples and freeze them. Then, next year, dump them in a carboy to defrost, then rack the lambic on top of them.

I have a couple of ciders sitting with sour bugs in them (18 months to 2 years). Probably ready for bottling. I have no idea what they taste like, but they do have healthy pellicles on them.

Avery Brewing's Bad Apple was a solid attempt at this. Try shooting them an email with some of those questions, they may help you out. As I recall, the beer was hazy but Im not sure I would have called it pectin haze.

Latest posts

Back