Apple DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy111

Reaction score
So I just brewed a 1-gallon batch of this, but here is the recipe scaled-up.

5-gallon Batch (Extract)

10 lb Pilsner Liquid Malt Extract

Hops:

60 min: 2.5 oz Chinook
30 min: 2.5 oz Cascade
10 min: 2.5 oz Chinook
5 min: 5 apples (about 2.5 lb) in slices, seeds and stems removed. Skins left on.
Flame-Out: 2.5 oz Cascade
2.5 oz Simcoe
Let stand for 15 minutes.

Pitch Danstar BRY-97, American West Coast Ale yeast. Ferment @ 68 Fahrenheit for 3 days then slowly reduce to 62 F until FG.

I haven't gotten any further than that - the beer is still in primary. I'm going to dry hop with another [2.5] ounces of Simcoe at secondary.

Thoughts?
Brewed this in my college dormitory... It's actually my first extract batch, because I started right off with all-grain. I've done several all-grain batches before, but I actually have equipment for that, which I don't have here.

Curious to see how it turns out. I'd add blended apples into the fermenter to get some of the wild yeasts.

Thought about that, but I've never used BRY-97 and I kind of want to check out the profile it gives, if any.

If it's like the MJ version it should be pretty good. You did get me interested on how would a bitter IPA mix with the tannins of bittersweet / bittersharp cider apples.

Exactly the thoughts I was having when I tried it. Had some nice crisp ones from the orchard just waiting around, so in they went. Almost done with primary now, just another day or two and it'll go on the dry hops.

Back