Apple cider vinegar hotsauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCN

Reaction score
So, I have a 5 gallon batch of cider sitting out on my back porch in its carboy. I had high hopes for it in the Spring when I opened it after a years worth of fermenting, but it was quite bad. Very alcoholic but very vinegary.

Now, it's been sitting on the porch day in and day out since April. I have just harvested a big batch of Inferno Chilis and Jalepenos along with some onions from my garden. I was wondering if the stuff on my back porch would be considered good enough vinegar to make hot sauce with. It has not been refrigerated at all, but I've read that vinegar keeps very well without refrigeration.

Should I use this to make hot sauce?

Why not try a small batch of it with it and see how it taste. We never store out vinegar in the fridge. Sits for years in our pantry(Costco sized last for years). Never had an issue. If it ends up tasting horrible toss it. It would just be a small batch.

@Izzie1701 I am going to do exactly what you recommended. Thank you for the advice!

I just popped open that carboy and compared the taste of it to a small bottle of store bought apple-cider vinegar I had in the cabinet... My carboy still has a very fruity/sweet alcohol taste. It is not as vinegary as I remember. I'm going to use it anyway, as it's not exactly tasty. I'll probably half and half it.

Back