Apple butter in a Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to some mishaps during cooking, I ended up with 12 pint jars full of not-quite-thick-enough spiced apple butter. I want to brew with it but I'm a bit worried about the pectins forming methanol during the ferment. Is that a thing or am I worried about nothing?

I had no idea fruit pectin was associated with elevating methanol levels.

I brew a raspberry hibiscus wheat ale with 9 pounds of raspberry puree for a 10 gallon batch. I do treat the puree with pectinase (aka pectic enzyme) overnight as a yield enhancement thing. I wonder if that might reduce or even eliminate any methanol fraction through fermentation...

Cheers!

if you need a food taster, like a king queen...send me a couple bottles i'll drink them. i'll let you know if i'm doing it with a brail keyboard....i'm not sure but willing to risk it. and more then willing to put my life/eyesight on the line for your saftey, as long as i get the bottles of beer!

I had no idea fruit pectin was associated with elevating methanol levels.

I brew a raspberry hibiscus wheat ale with 9 pounds of raspberry puree for a 10 gallon batch. I do treat the puree with pectinase (aka pectic enzyme) overnight as a yield enhancement thing. I wonder if that might reduce or even eliminate any methanol fraction through fermentation...

Cheers!
I believe pectinase would exacerbate the problem by breaking down the pectins making them bioavailable to ferment.

Back