Apple ale - when to add apple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkee915

Reaction score
I tried making a cider for my wife but ended up screwing it up horribly. After giving it more thought, she's more partial to Apple ale than to cider, so I decided to give that a shot. I'm going to brew up a small batch of basic light unhopped (maybe lightly hopped) beer and try adding apple to it later.

So my first question is, what is best to use? Apple cider or apple juice? I don't have an orchard near by but I checked my grocery store and found some cider that seems mostly natural (apple juice from apples, water, apple juice from concentrate).

Second question, when is the best time to add it? Should it be added in the boil, primary or secondary? Right now I'm thinking secondary in order get as much apple flavor as possible.

Thanks for any help

If the yeast has dropped I don't see why you couldn't just leave it in primary and add juice. I would use natural juice (unfiltered) if at all possible. Just no preservatives so you know it will ferment. The fresh juice of tart apples would be best. Sweeter will ferment away and leave less apple flavor. This advice is from someone who has made a lot of cider, and a lot more ale, but never a hybrid of the two. So educated guess I suppose. Good luck!

I did something similar. I did a 1.5 gallon batch of malty amber ale and topped it off with 4 gallons of Apple juice and used English yeast. I think I added an oz of magnum to the boil. Came out really nice.

It's unlikely that you get any cider apples in juice so it could end up thin, low in tannins and acidic. I think in the US you guys sometimes add crab apples to balance it out.

Back