apfelwien stinks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
My apfelwien is stinking up my once wonderful smelling fermentation closet.

It smells like rotten eggs! Is this normal?

Yep, the rhino farts are a sign of good apfelwein to come. There's a simple solution if you want to be rid of those nasty odors. Take a 20 oz. plastic pop bottle, a carbon hepa air filter replacement screen, and some duct tape. Cut off the bottom of the bottle, but out small circles from the filter, stack about 4 of them together and shove them into the bottle, place the bottle over your carboy's air lock, and tape that sucker down. You'll get zero odor. Works great. :D

Revvy said:
Yes...Ed even talks about it in the thread...

Yeah!!! I mean Gosh!! Didn't you take the time to read all 4,367 posts in the thread before you brewed it????

I am still reading it. I plan to brew in 2 months or so when I have read all of the posts.:drunk:

cheezydemon said:
Yeah!!! I mean Gosh!! Didn't you take the time to read all 4,367 posts in the thread before you brewed it????

I am still reading it. I plan to brew in 2 months or so when I have read all of the posts.:drunk:

Actually, I did :) You can speed read through a long thread...especially just looking at Ed's posts.

Plus I believe it is mentioned in the first 2 posts of his...either the intro one or the one with the recipe....Not to mention the 2 or 3 new threads created about it per week.

and there's alway's the search function.

cheezydemon said:

What can I say. I guess I'm just plain lazy! I read the first page today and read alot of it way back when Ed first posted. Also did a search but it looked like too many to try to weed thur.

I figured maybe an OP with Apfelwien Stinks in the title and text might help the next guy/gal wondering what that awful smell was.

Thanks All ! :mug:

shunoshi said:
Yep, the rhino farts are a sign of good apfelwein to come. There's a simple solution if you want to be rid of those nasty odors. Take a 20 oz. plastic pop bottle, a carbon hepa air filter replacement screen, and some duct tape. Cut off the bottom of the bottle, but out small circles from the filter, stack about 4 of them together and shove them into the bottle, place the bottle over your carboy's air lock, and tape that sucker down. You'll get zero odor. Works great. :D

Gee, you mean I wouldn't need to wear this everytime I peaked in my brew closet? :D

gasmask-israeli-civilian-frs-w-filter.jpg

Got any picts of your uber-smell eliminator?

I'll snap a picture next time I make one up. I am due for another batch of apfelwein so hopefully it'll be soon.

shunoshi said:
Take a 20 oz. plastic pop bottle, a carbon hepa air filter replacement screen, and some duct tape. Cut off the bottom of the bottle, but out small circles from the filter, stack about 4 of them together and shove them into the bottle, place the bottle over your carboy's air lock, and tape that sucker down. You'll get zero odor. Works great. :D
You forgot the last few steps:

1) Roll
2) Light
3) Inhale
4) Exhale through filter

:cross:

I have made several batches of apfelwine in my basement, so I don't really get the smell too often being a few floors removed. Recently I made a batch of apfelwine for one of my friends at his shop, I went in 3 days into fermentation and his entire place stunk of rhino farts. The place is big enough to park 3 tractor trailers and has 20 foot ceilings and a 2 ton overhead crane the whole place stunk. As soon as I walked in I knew what the smell was and asked kind of sarcastically "Damn, did someone take a S#lT in here!" He didn't laugh and told me it was the apfelwine, which I of course knew....

Donasay said:
I have made several batches of apfelwine in my basement, so I don't really get the smell too often being a few floors removed. Recently I made a batch of apfelwine for one of my friends at his shop, I went in 3 days into fermentation and his entire place stunk of rhino farts. The place is big enough to park 3 tractor trailers and has 20 foot ceilings and a 2 ton overhead crane the whole place stunk. As soon as I walked in I knew what the smell was and asked kind of sarcastically "Damn, did someone take a S#lT in here!" He didn't laugh and told me it was the apfelwine, which I of course knew....

Okay...I know I haven't been on this forum that long...but just who figured out that the smell is precisly the smell of Rhino Farts???

Is someone on this site who makes apfelwein a zoologist or something?:D

Revvy said:
I've learned som much from you on this forum!!! :rockin:

Glad to be of help. I know other HBTers have helped me a ton.

beala said:
You forgot the last few steps:

1) Roll
2) Light
3) Inhale
4) Exhale through filter

:cross:

Hey! I've done that before.:drunk:

Ed, this is hilarious. I brewed (assembled) your Apfelwien recipe on Saturday. My wife just called me at work letting me know that our whole house smells like dirty diapers. From reading your Apfelwein post, I knew what the problem was immediately.

The problem is, it is fermenting in the same closet as my suits and other work related attire!!

Don'tcha mean, it has an interesting aroma while fermenting?

I never knew what you guys were talking about when you posted rhino farts till the 4th day of apfelwein fermentation.. The whole house stunk like cracked azz... Friends found excuses not to come over, luckily the temps allow me to open the windows.

SWMBO kept thinking that our son had crapped his diaper. She'd check and say "nope . . . hmm . . . he's just a stinky kid". This was in our basement tv lounge - 15 feet from the storage/furnace/fermentation room where the AW is brewing. I finally fessed up 3 days later when the smell was gone and she said it wasn't nearly as bad as she expected based on my description of "rhino farts".

What can I say. I guess I'm just plain lazy! I read the first page today and read alot of it way back when Ed first posted. Also did a search but it looked like too many to try to weed thur.

I figured maybe an OP with Apfelwien Stinks in the title and text might help the next guy/gal wondering what that awful smell was.

Thanks All ! :mug:

Two and a half years later and this is the first link in google when searching for apfelwein airlock stinks. So it helped me. Now I just have to search for "how to prevent wife from killing me or dumping apfelwein until I get hepa filter"

Don't worry, not all apfelwein stinks (or it may be just a lesser sensitivity to it). Mines at 4+ weeks now and I was down in the basement close to everyday sniffing the airlock (I admit it, I have a problem! :D) and there was no sign of "rhino farts".

I just made up a batch of the apfelwien last Saturday. About three days ago I was certain we had lost an Easter egg in the house but I could not find it. Good to know it is nothing more then apfelwien rhino farts! ;)

Back