apfelwien ABV% adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
Hey, I'm wanting to try some apfelwien. Seems as though everyone adds 2 lb of some form of fermentable, corn sugar or brown sugar. They report the ABV at around 8+%. I'm not wanting it that strong. So if I were to forgo the sugar will that ruin the taste? Anyone? thanks jm

primary MoreBeer Mild Brown (bottlin today!)
primary MoreBeer Rainsination Sour Ale (this was a Christmas gift, sure felt funny dumping all those rainsins into what looked like FINE beer! hope its OK, air lock started kicking up again.)
On Deck MoreBeer German Hefeweizen (Another gift, slipped up to the brew shop and got some caramunich and chocolate steeping grains to turn it into a darker dunkelweizen. Don't tell the wife!)
Drinking-Belgian-Dark Ale-Holiday-Irish Red-Red Kolsh-various and divers odds and ends

The apfelwien i made turned out to be around 6% and i used two pounds of dextrose and let it ride for a month before i touched it. It finished dry like edwort said but i like a little sweeter so i added a little more apple juice to sweeten it up a little. You cant tell there is alcohol in it. Just taste like apple wine which can sneak up on you lol

You mean dont add any sugar to the juice?

Yes, you can skip the sugar. Get a good gravity reading. I use a refractometer to get brix and then convert to OG.

Back