apfelwein sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
Im looking at making an Apfelwein. My first batch im gonna make according to the recipe but it got me thinking. What would a dme in place of the corn sugar do to the flavor. If anyone has tried this please respond with your results and how much you used was it lb for lb or did you use more or less dme.

Im looking at making an Apfelwein. My first batch im gonna make according to the recipe but it got me thinking. What would a dme in place of the corn sugar do to the flavor. If anyone has tried this please respond with your results and how much you used was it lb for lb or did you use more or less dme.

Switching out the corn sugar for dme converts the brew from 'apfelwein' to a 'graff', which lots of folks enjoy. Look for 'graff' in your searches and you will find several threads. It changes the flavor for sure. Making an Apple/Beer flavor.

As to ratios, you will use just a slight bit more dme if you want the same abv %. Only about 5% more.

DME contains some sugars that are not fermentable. The dextrose in the original recipe is completely fermentable by the yeast. On top of adding malt flavors you will be leaving some residual sweetness to the final product.

Back