Apfelwein sediment in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueberryHill

Reaction score
Question. I had a batch that was 2-months in the carboy and I racked it straight to a corny. I was careful to leave the trub behind. Cold crashed before racking. I pumped up the keg and let it sit charged in the fridge for a week. Then I pulled it out and filled 4 grolsch bottles and stuck them in the fridge. It has been a couple of days since I filled the 4 bottles. There is definite sediment built up on the bottom of the bottles. More than average I would say. I still drank every drop of course, haha, but the last sip was kinda gross I only filled 4 because that is what I had clean. I want to empty the keg into more grolsch bottles this weekend. I need the keg for the dead guy clone I have in secondary.

I imagine that there is sediment settled out in the keg and it's gonna be the first thing out. What would you do in this situation? Just fill all the bottles and hope that most of the sediment ends up in the first couple of bottles filled?

Carefully move the keg to an elevated spot. Release pressure and open the top. Keep the top on for awhile and let things settle. Then open the keg. Stick in your racking cane or auto-siphon and fill a small glass very carefully. Inspect the glass for any sediment. Then carefully fill a second small glass. Inspect this one for any sediment. There should be noticeably less. Then go ahead fill the bottles. You should be fine. Be sure you drink the contents of both glasses. That way you won't care how much sediment you got in the bottles.

Question. I had a batch that was 2-months in the carboy and I racked it straight to a corny. I was careful to leave the trub behind. Cold crashed before racking. I pumped up the keg and let it sit charged in the fridge for a week. Then I pulled it out and filled 4 grolsch bottles and stuck them in the fridge. It has been a couple of days since I filled the 4 bottles. There is definite sediment built up on the bottom of the bottles. More than average I would say. I still drank every drop of course, haha, but the last sip was kinda gross I only filled 4 because that is what I had clean. I want to empty the keg into more grolsch bottles this weekend. I need the keg for the dead guy clone I have in secondary.

I imagine that there is sediment settled out in the keg and it's gonna be the first thing out. What would you do in this situation? Just fill all the bottles and hope that most of the sediment ends up in the first couple of bottles filled?

Don't move the keg. If you move it, you'll resuspend all of the sediment. When you want to bottle, pour a couple of ounces in a glass to ensure there isn't much sediment.

Then, use the beergun or counterpressure set up (here's a cheap and easy one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=246780 ) and dispense to bottles.

That should do the trick.

Carefully move the keg to an elevated spot. Release pressure and open the top. Keep the top on for awhile and let things settle. Then open the keg. Stick in your racking cane or auto-siphon and fill a small glass very carefully. Inspect the glass for any sediment. Then carefully fill a second small glass. Inspect this one for any sediment. There should be noticeably less. Then go ahead fill the bottles. You should be fine. Be sure you drink the contents of both glasses. That way you won't care how much sediment you got in the bottles.

Siphoning a carbonated cider is NOT easy, and it will oxidize the cider in addition to creating a foamy mess. I wouldn't do that!

Back