Apfelwein recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I've seen edwort's recipe but I fail to see how that's award winning. The award winning must be the type of juice used or the yeast? I mean the recipe is juice+loads of sugar...ferment. that's like every cider :)
Any other interesting recipes to share?

Apfelwein and Cider aren't exactly the same; they can be easily differentiated by their ABV.

An award wining cider will use little to no sugar; relying on the quality/type of apples and when they are picked (ripe apples have more sugar).
So your common cider made with table apples typically weight in about 5-8% ABV.
Cider makers will often use wild crab apples for balance and for tannin additions. They are also very acidic (3.0) with little bitterness.
Cider yeasts are very estery, more like a Belgian yeast. I personally like a sweet carbonated spiced cider and use a clean ale yeast for fermentation.

Applewine is simply a common cider with added sugar to achieve higher alcohol; 9-12% ABV.
Edwort built a simple yet good recipe for an applewine that most people can make no matter where they live.

*Most of this was lifted directly from the BJCP style guidelines.

I've seen edwort's recipe but I fail to see how that's award winning. The award winning must be the type of juice used or the yeast? I mean the recipe is juice+loads of sugar...ferment. that's like every cider :)

Hello there. I am a big fan of Edwort’s apfelwein and cherries, so in the interest of sharing a recipe... I have an experimental batch that is still in the fermenter. I wanted more of a cherry taste, so my ratio is 2 gallons of tart cherry juice to about 2.5g organic apple juice, Montrachet yeast, and 2lbs corn sugar. O.G. was 1.072, started on 12/19/17. In the past I’ve used the same cherry juice with a smaller ratio and had a pretty good result. The current airlock stopped bubbling sooner than the regular recipe, which I don’t like, however I’m not a professional brewer so it may be a nonissue - we shall see. I’m also keeping it at a cooler temp than past batches. Have you tried any other recipes? I love blueberries and mango, so those mashups are on my list.

Cheers,

Cara

Apfelwein and Cider aren't exactly the same; they can be easily differentiated by their ABV.

An award wining cider will use little to no sugar; relying on the quality/type of apples and when they are picked (ripe apples have more sugar).
So your common cider made with table apples typically weight in about 5-8% ABV.
Cider makers will often use wild crab apples for balance and for tannin additions. They are also very acidic (3.0) with little bitterness.
Cider yeasts are very estery, more like a Belgian yeast. I personally like a sweet carbonated spiced cider and use a clean ale yeast for fermentation.

Applewine is simply a common cider with added sugar to achieve higher alcohol; 9-12% ABV.
Edwort built a simple yet good recipe for an applewine that most people can make no matter where they live.

*Most of this was lifted directly from the BJCP style guidelines.

That does not answer the question.

I also have been unable to acquire or otherwise try traditional apfelwein.

What you are calling “Applewine” is really Turbo Cider (cider with added sugar to artificially increase the ABV).

The fact that its ABV has been increased to within the range of typical grape-wine levels does not make it “Apfelwein”, which roughly translates to “wine made from *only* apples” (yes; some varieties have other additions but the original variety is plain).

Grapes have higher sugar content than do apples, thus the difference between grape-wine ABV and Cider ABV. Apfelwein is a German Apple Cider, traditionally around 6% ABV.

What we need to know is how to make an approximation of traditional Apfelwein, enough to perhaps convince a Frankfurt local.

THAT could be approximated by studying the varieties listed on Possman’s website (in German). I used Google Chrome and translated the page(s). But the REAL question is whether the must from their apple blend is appreciably different from American “orchard fresh” cider.

I used Simply Apple fresh pressed pasteurized (in the refrigerated section) with Belle Saison yeast fermented between 68F - 70F and it came out dry and astringent. It may very well taste like real Sachsenhausen-district Apfelwein, but I have no way of knowing.

What we’re looking for here is a recipe for a good representation of what true apfelwein tastes like, which I have yet to find here. Edwort says his recipe tastes like Possman’s Franfurter Apfelwein, but just higher ABV.

If that’s ostensibly the case, then one could produce a passable apfelwein with inexpensive AJC and a certain yeast. However, it’s purported that apfelwein has to be made with wild apples. But perhaps that is just legend/ignorance.

Many on here know so so much more than I do about brewing. However, I haven’t found someone who has explored true apfelwein and provided a way to produce a decent imitation. I’m seeking to learn, but it seems no one is teaching that class around here.

I've seen edwort's recipe but I fail to see how that's award winning.
Maybe someone gave it an award, but everyone has different tastes and what some people like, others find repulsive.
Apfelwein is a traditional beverage (made in homes and on farms) that is now commercially produced. If you count the farms that had apple trees in Germany, you could get a ballpark figure on how many "recipes" are out there.
If you want to make REAL "traditional" Apfelwein, you would have to start by figuring out what apples were grown on farms for that purpose in the past. Some of the modern commercial examples use juice concentrate, some use dessert apple varieties, some use sour apples for a different taste. I'm sure there are experts using specific apple varieties for a special taste in their Apfelwein, just like we have very specialized cider producers here in the US.
In the end, we are all constrained by the availability of ingredients.
With beer, you can get hundreds of different malts, hops and yeast varieties, follow a recipe and produce any style of beer you want.
With wine (or cider), recipes may get you in the right direction, but natural ingredients like apples and grapes are different when grown in different places, so the product isn't going to be the same.

Back