Apfelwein in keg..overcarbed..any suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I have a keg of apfelwein that been in the keg for about three months now. I primed with 3/4 cup of corn sugar because I wanted it pretty carbonated. When I went to tap it tonight I connected the gas line and then the beer line. As soon as I put the beer line on apfelwein came out of the posts and the disconnect.

I'm assuming this is way too carbonated. I'm using this for a party a week from tomorrow. Is it something that I just have to keep releasing pressure a few times a day over the next week? Anybody have any other suggestions?

is the keg chilled? If so, vent it completely, then connect the gas at 2 psi and dispense some. Let us know what happens.

Thanks Ed. Even at 2 psi apfelwein comes where the disconnect and the post are connected. I figured it would foam alot not acutally come out of the post.

I'll keep venting.

Love the apfelwein by the way.

If it's coming out of the post your problem isn't overcarbonation it's a leaky connection. Try checking your O-rings or using a different disconnect.

If it's coming out of the post your problem isn't overcarbonation it's a leaky connection. Try checking your O-rings or using a different disconnect.

Can we move this to "I'm an idiot section"? I forgot that I took the O-rings off the post to replace. Yeah I never replaced it. Once I put one on all things were good in the hood.

Still a little over-carbed though. I can fix that though. Thanks for the help.

Ja, I just dealt with this. Forgot to replace the little O rings on the dip tubes. I think that's where my CO2 was going!

Should be easy enough to take the gas off and release the pressure with either the gas-in poppet or the relief valve if you got one.

Back