Apfelwein filling up airlock, what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Nice Guy

Reaction score
I filled my Apelwein right to the top and sure enough it is filling up my airlock rather quickly! What should I do? I don't care bout the mess, I have a towel wrapped around it, but are there any sanitation issues I need to know about? Should I pull off the airlock, sanitize it, and replace it with some more vodka back in it? Don't worry have a homebrew? :D

+1 to the blow off tube... you dont have a problem with sanitation as you do with free flaoting sugar around where you have it stored to ferment... not a problem now, and ur you might not be fermenting there when its warmer, and your fermenter is sealed but it wills till attarched bugs...and other things

Cheers

I used a sanitized and clean (never used for cooking) turkey baster to remove and approximate 2 inches of the juice.

then replaced with a freshly sanitized air lock and bung.

I went ahead and just dumped the airlock, sanitized and replaced it very quickly because I didn't have any hose.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Back