Apfelwein carbed itself in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BornInaHoller

Reaction score
I have been a very lazy brewer and let my Apfelwein fall to the wayside. I brewed a 15 gallon batch last summer and kegged it in August of last year. It had been in the primary for about 4 months. I did not take any hydrometer readings when I kegged it. I put the first keg into the kegerator and started drinking it. It tasted much sweeter than past batches, but I wasn't worried and decided to wait it out. Now, 10 months later it still is very tart and sweet. It is completely different than the many gallons I made previously.

Tonight, I checked my other 2 cornies from this batch and they too taste very sweet and tart. In addition, the apfelwein in these kegs (which didn't have priming sugar added) is carbonated. Did I keg the apfelwein to early and it never finished fermenting? If so, is there any hope to fix it. Could I pitch a pack of yeast per corny and restart the fermentation?

Their all over a year old?

I'd be doubtful it would help adding new yeast just complicate the taste and be hard for yo to transfer it from the corny to another container and back to clear sediment with it being carbed. Oxygenation would be an issue i think.

This is a educated guess :p

Sounds like a good thing to me... how sweet is "very sweet"?

Back