Apfelwein Blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brew17

Reaction score
It appears that I may have added too much juice to my fermenter while making the Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe. When I noticed, the level of the liquid was just to the bottom of the neck of a 5 gallon carboy. Since that time, the level has now risen through the neck and is beginning to fill the airlock. I would think that it would be in my best interest to pull the airlock and install a blowoff tube, in case it rises anymore, correct?

Ive never needed a blowoff when I kept the level 1" below the neck. What youve got now is a very tiny place for the CO2 to come to the surface and escape from. That is what is causing your issues.

Two solutions. The safest is a blowoff tube...expect to leave it hooked up for several weeks while its going as it takes a while to get the sugars fermented out. The other solution is to sanitize your wine thief and dip it in and draw off enough to get your level lower than the spout.

If you used the Montrachet yeast you wont get krausen but I cant speak for what other strains of yeast might do.

I did use the Montrachet yeast. I wasn't worried about the krausen, as I had read there was none from that yeast. Aside from a blowoff, I was also thinking about drawing some of the liquid off.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back