Apartment brewers unite!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also an apartment brewer. I'm in the basement and the only compliant I get is that on brew day I stink up the whole first floor, but everyone likes my beer, so it all works out.

Luckily I have a big enough pot/small enough stove that I can get my boil going very nice over two burners.

As an apt brewer, I think its more important that ever to get a keg system! Bottles take up A LOT of space! I have 8 kegs that fit nicely in the corner of my closet. Thats roughly 16 cases worth of bottles!! Thats like half a room worth of bottles!!!

I do full, 5.5 - 6 gallon batches of all grain in my apartment. I'm lucky in that my stove boils that much with ease.

I'll make sure to take some pics next brewday.

Apartment brewers, unite!!!! I just bought an outdoor propane burner and will be christening it this weekend. Since going AG I can barely get a slow simmer out of two electric burners and that is horribly frustrating. If i don't burn the complex down on Sunday, looks like I'll be investing in a 15 gallon pot for 10 gallon batches!! If Santa is nice to me this year, that is....

also an apartment brewer here. just doing partial boils so far, till i can get a 6.5 gal pot. my stove is pretty good, i think i might be able to get a boil out of it. eventually... if i make a nice insulated sleeve for it.

I am currently breaking the rules (and possibly the law) and brewing on my balcony. I HAD to make the jump to AG so I just brew on the balcony when the office is closed. I keep a close eye on it to not set anything on fire and it works pretty well. I also keep some extra panels of insulation handy to act as a wind/sight screen. Works pretty well so far. Until I get caught that is. Man I need a house! Cheers!

Add me to the apartment balcony brewer list. My last batch was my first batch with the turkey fryer (3rd overall) and I may end up taking everything down to the yard for my fun tomorrow.

After reading this thread, I hope that the next time I complain about my brewing logistics (we have house, basement, garage.....5 acres), I hope someone kicks me in the butt.

come closer, I'll put on the steel toed boots.

I'm an apartment brewer as well. But I have a backyard, and a hose out there, so it's easy.

The landlord was minorly ticked off when she and my roommate got back from the bar and I didn't have any beer on tap! Luckily I had some cider bottled.

B

at least you guys HAVE a balcony. im on the only side of the building where the main floor apts dont have balconies. god, i wish i had a house.

Here is my setup, I have to move the range out of the way so I can place the bk under the hood.

attachment.php

Have a water filter under the sink next to the MLT in the first pic that I use for my water in the brew day.

attachment.php

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

I'm an apartment brewer and fortunately I have a very understanding and loving wife. She lets me keep my brewing rig, fermentation chamber, grain storage and hop/yeast fridge in the living room area. Not to mention taking over an entire closet for my other brewing equipment.

i just brew on my stovetop at home :D

but i have thought about this. the ***** would be cooling, i'd have to run hose over my carpet...that doesn't sound like a good idea...

yeah i did that and had a hose hooked up to my washer hook up and ran it acrross my apartment. it leaked slightly and went down and ruined the drywall in the peoples apartment below me. they kept complaining about it. the apartment maintence guy came over when i was brewing and i had pumps and hoses running everywhere with a kegerator and thought it was awesome. he hates beer but loves moonshine so he kept mentioning how to make moonshine and how good it is and with the skills i got just quit beer and start making moonshine in my apartment. lol. i still brew allgrain and chill now by pumping wort through a copper coil in a thermos full of ice.

Apartment brewer here too. It's cramped work, but I can boil five gallons across two burners, it appears, so I'm sticking with stovetop methods for the moment. Third floor, no balcony to speak of, and so on. I ought to move. :)

yeah i did that and had a hose hooked up to my washer hook up and ran it acrross my apartment. it leaked slightly and went down and ruined the drywall in the peoples apartment below me. they kept complaining about it. the apartment maintence guy came over when i was brewing and i had pumps and hoses running everywhere with a kegerator and thought it was awesome. he hates beer but loves moonshine so he kept mentioning how to make moonshine and how good it is and with the skills i got just quit beer and start making moonshine in my apartment. lol. i still brew allgrain and chill now by pumping wort through a copper coil in a thermos full of ice.

I later got a new chiller with lines going from the bathroom out to my deck. It worked really well, no leaks. And even if it did leak, it would be on the deck and in the bathroom, no problem.

I've since moved and do all my brewing in the basement. Making up an 11 gallon batch of my Vienna+NB Smash with a new counterflow chiller we made. Fun stuff.

Back