APA-Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
So I went to the LHBS yesterday to pick up stuff for a Belgian Wit, and learned they were out of some of the ingredients. Since I still want to brew this weekend I thought I'd take a stab at remembering a grain bill for some APA I've done in the past. Unfortunately I forgot all about Vienna, so here's what I'm sitting on. My plan is to brew it anyway, unless people make me realize that it just won't turn out.

5.5# 2-Row
3# Munich
2# Caramel 40L
Mixture of Cascade & Centennial Hops (Maybe go for 50IBU or so)
Wyeast 1056

Any thoughts on what it might lack without the Vienna? Is it worth a trip back just for those grains?

5.5# 2-Row
3# Munich
2# Caramel 40L
Mixture of Cascade & Centennial Hops (Maybe go for 50IBU or so)
Wyeast 1056

Any thoughts on what it might lack without the Vienna? Is it worth a trip back just for those grains?

I'd take the munich down to 1.5-2#, and drop the C-40 to a pound and add 1-1.5# Vienna. Bring out the hops better, but have a nice balance, 2# of C-40 will overwhelm everything.

I don't think you need any Vienna in this, but you might consider either upping the 2-Row or decreasing the caramel, or both. I think with that high of a percentage of the grain bill coming from caramel, you will have a sweetish beer.

i don't think you need any vienna in this, but you might consider either upping the 2-row or decreasing the caramel, or both. I think with that high of a percentage of the grain bill coming from caramel, you will have a sweetish beer.

+1

Well reducing the caramel would have been tough since I mixed all the grains together. I did up the 2-row and figured RDWHAHB right? Mashed in this morning, waiting on the boil to start now. Maybe it'll be a pale ale for beginners...a little sweeter while still having some of the hop profile. I'll make a note to report back in a few weeks.

Back