APA suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
I'm busy all day but getting grains after work for a brew tomorrow night. Any APA suggestions. The LHBS doesn't have any exotic hops but they have centennial cascade and a lot of the more standards. No Amarillo or citra in right now. I would like it to be around 70IBU 7% abv but have some malty was with some Munich and Vienna or
Victory and maybe some crystal 40. Any suggestions?

I am the APA masta! Seriously, though, it's my favorite style and about 1/2 the brews I make are APAs.

Centennial is a GREATTTTTT flavoring hop for APAs. Very smooth.....one of my favorites as the 15 min addition.

BTW, if the beer is 70 IBUs, it is no longer an APA, it's an IPA. APAs top out at 45 IBUs. 7% ABV is also out of range for an APA, and would be in IPA range. I also don't exactly get wanting to use German Malts (munich/vienna) in an American Pale Ale either. Not an APA anymore if you make it with German base malts. Actually none of what you are describing is consistent with an APA. But anyway :)

Try this. I've made a similar recipe with two row, and it was great. Should be great with Maris Otter to give it the extra malt kick you are looking for. I also bumped up the Maris Otter a bit off my original recipe and bumped the hops a bit to maintain the balance. This should be a good APAishhhhhh beer:

5.25 gallon batch

12.0 lbs Maris Otter
0.75 lbs Crystal 60
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

1.25 oz Cascade @ 60
1.25 oz Centennial @ 15
1.25 oz Centennial @ 5

Safale S-05 yeast

Mash @ 156F for 60 min
Ferment @ 59F for two weeks
Bottle/Keg condition carb for 2-4 weeks at room temp

IBUs 45
SRM 11.1
OG 1.071
FG 1.02
ABV 6.75

Ok thanks. What I am trying to mean by APA is an American style IPA. These can be more malty than and English style but as you pointed out my malts still don't fit. So what I want is a IPA that has a little extra in the malty ness. But actually I could see just go with a good normal pale ale like you are suggesting. I like a little easier drinker so this might be good for me. I am really wanting to do my IPA when I get my hops shipment in so good suggestion.

I am mainly just trying to brew while waiting in my IPA hops to come in the mail. So I might just do a pale ale. What I tried to ask was a recipe for an American style IPA. Maybe it is not in a category but a malty IPA with some good malts in there. I think I will just do a nice pale ale like you are suggesting. Really I want something on the shelf while I wait on my IPA hops so why not brew a little different brew.

Ok I found what I knew I had read before. Da Yoopers house pale. I'm going down they road. Good ole yoop.

Back