APA on Wyeast 3787 cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbarc

Reaction score
My Trappist Tripel has finally finished fermenting and it is in the fridge cold crashing. I will bottle it in a couple of days. I am planing to brew an American Pale Ale next. I am wondering if pitching the APA on the Wyeast 3787 cake from the Tripel would be advisable.

Sounds more like it'd be a BPA than an APA but you'll probably be fine.

Those yeast are probably pretty stressed after fermenting a tripel so you'd be better off rinsing them to separate out the guys that are dead/inactive (along with trub) but I'd think you'll be OK for another batch as is.

Probably not a great idea; although it'll make beer.

- It won't be an APA because that yeast throws a lot of phenols and esthers. That yeast will have a degree of attenuation that is too much for an APA (plus you're dramatically over pitching).

- It is generally not a good idea to reuse yeast from a high gravity beer (this yeast is likely stressed out)

probably not a great idea; although it'll make beer.

- it won't be an apa because that yeast throws a lot of phenols and esthers. That yeast will have a degree of attenuation that is too much for an apa (plus you're dramatically over pitching).

- it is generally not a good idea to reuse yeast from a high gravity beer (this yeast is likely stressed out)

+1

Well I guess I will toss the cake from my Tripel and use Wyeast 1056 to pitch for my APA.

Back