APA Hops Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
So my first attempt at an APA I used all noble hops and it turned out very interesting, but not what I expected. Now its time for round 2. I already have the grains crushed and ready, and I have bought the hops already. I just need some help figuring out how to use them.

Grain Bill:
8 lbs 2-row
2 lbs munich
1 lb crystal 40

gives an OG of about 1.049 for a 5.5 gallon batch

I have 1 oz of simcoe, 1 oz of amarillo, 1 oz of cascade, and some other miscellaneous hops.

I was thinking of the following hop schedule, but I would greatly appreciate pointers as I would like to have this turn out well.

.25 oz cascade @60
.25 oz simcoe @60
.25 oz amarillo @60
.5 oz cascade @15
.5 oz simcoe @10
.5 oz amarillo @5

gives about 36 IBUs

I plan to brew this tomorrow morning so help is needed!

You're without a doubt on the right track.
A. I would personally use something like Magnum, Columbus, or Warrior to bitter with, and save that .75oz of Amarillo/Cascade/Simcoe for later in the boil since those hops are so aromatic, but if not, I wouldn't stress over it.
B. Looks like you have .25oz of each hop left over? Dry hop with those.

That's about all the advise I have. Good looking grain bill, those are excellent hops for an APA, brew on my friend!

I don't want it overly hoppy. I'd like it to be around the hop level of Left Hand's Stranger (Jackman's) Pale Ale, or Boulder Beer's Hazed and Infused, or Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Unfortunately, my knowledge of hop amounts and their contribution to flavor/hoppiness is lacking. I can look at IBU's all day long, but that doesn't help for flavor.

I was thinking of maybe holding off on dry hopping until I see how this one comes out first (unless people think its a really good idea to do so).

Specifically, what sort of hop schedule would you suggest?

I wouldn't change what you have then. For just taking a stab in the dark, you made a very nice stab. Brew up the recipe you posted. If it isn't quite hoppy enough, dry hop in the keg, or just brew it again and dry hop it next time. What you posted looks like a great little APA, so i'd just roll with that, and adjust future batches to your taste.

Latest posts

Back