APA Fermentation Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awvyen

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have an American Pale Ale (OG 1.050) that spent 7 days in primary (bucket) and is now in its 5th day of secondary (glass carboy). I was hoping for some suggestions on my next steps. I went into this brew planning to follow "Plan A" below, but now I am not sure if I am wasting time and could move a little faster?

Plan A:
Primary - 7 days (SG 1.014)
Secondary - 10 days
Secondary - 4 days in fridge to cold crash
Keg - 7 days at serving PSI to slow carb
Drink on day 28

Plan B?
Primary - 7 days (SG 1.014)
Secondary - 7 days
Keg - 7 days at serving PSI to slow carb
Drink on day 21

Plan C?
Primary 14 days
Keg - 7 days
Drink on day 21

My question is, which above plan is best or what is the best schedule for a pretty standard APA from mash to glass? I have plenty of extra kegs and extra fridge space for cold crashing. Thanks in advance for the insight!

Plan D: Ferment until FG is stable, then rack to bucket, then to keg. The cold keg will settle things out and you can just run off the leftover trub.

The big question is how dextrinous is your beer? That's would I would use to gauge if and how long a secondary is needed.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

oh yeah, and I would consider the yeast I'm using. If it's known to produce unwanted off-flavors (perhaps due to fermentation temp), then I'd consider a secondary.

Best way to determine that is to taste it after primary is done to see if it's smooth, harsh or has a bite from dark malts etc.....

For that type of beer I would not use a secondary... maybe something to think about and research in the future.

Now that you have already used a secondary. Wait until the Final Gravity (FG) is steady... stable for 3 days, which should take less than 2 weeks, then keg.

Research this forum on force carbing. I like to go to 30 psi for 48 hours then dial it down to 7-10 for serving. The other option is like you said, slow carbing at maybe 10 for 7-14 days. You can always google carbonation charts to find the optimal carbonation rate if you do the slow carb method.

In summary, I like to make my beer, wait 2-4 weeks, keg it, force carb it for 2 days, then drink it.

Cheers

I notice a big difference in the keg from week one to week 2 and on, depending on the style. Do you all notice a big difference? I don't think I'd want to drink it at only 2-4 days in the keg.

I notice a big difference in the keg from week one to week 2 and on, depending on the style. Do you all notice a big difference? I don't think I'd want to drink it at only 2-4 days in the keg.

I've made plenty of beers that are great coming out of the keg at 2-4 days. With a pale ale, I drink them as fresh as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I notice a difference in clarity and some smoothness after a week or two. But with hoppier beers i like them fresh. I still force carb in two days and then dial it down and leave it if need be.

Plan D: Ferment until FG is stable, then rack to bucket, then to keg. The cold keg will settle things out and you can just run off the leftover trub.

Rack to a bucket, then to the keg? Why would you add an extra racking step? Seems like more work and more chance for oxidation and infection.

But yes, I would generally go 14 days in primary then rack to the keg as long as your FG was stable. You can set it and forget it (it might take longer than 1 week though) or you can give it a little head start by putting it at 30 psi for 24-48 hours. If you did everything right during fermentation (proper pitch rate, good temperatures, etc.) it should be just fine to drink after 2-4 days in the keg. Though it should clear more with more time.

For that type of beer I would not use a secondary... maybe something to think about and research in the future.

Now that you have already used a secondary. Wait until the Final Gravity (FG) is steady... stable for 3 days, which should take less than 2 weeks, then keg.

Research this forum on force carbing. I like to go to 30 psi for 48 hours then dial it down to 7-10 for serving. The other option is like you said, slow carbing at maybe 10 for 7-14 days. You can always google carbonation charts to find the optimal carbonation rate if you do the slow carb method.

In summary, I like to make my beer, wait 2-4 weeks, keg it, force carb it for 2 days, then drink it.

Cheers

Only a difference of preference but I'd leave it in primary until the target/FG is steady then rack to secondary for 5-7 days & dry hop if needed.
I then keg condition all my beers for about ten days at room temp. Then to the kegerator w/ gas at serving temp for 48 hours before serving.
I have added the Clear Draught system to a couple of my kegs and it is great. Clear beer from your first pour!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been using Yooper's schedule, after trying many different ones.

10 Days in the primary, unless it's a higher gravity beer.

No secondary unless it's absolutely required. (ie, fruit, etc.)

Sometimes I cold crash the primary, sometimes I don't.

Rack to your keg.

Force carb - 30 PSI for 36 hours.

Back the CO2 down to what serving pressure works for the style.

Drink it when it tastes right. Everyones taster is different.

I have been using Yooper's schedule, after trying many different ones.

10 Days in the primary, unless it's a higher gravity beer.

No secondary unless it's absolutely required. (ie, fruit, etc.)

Sometimes I cold crash the primary, sometimes I don't.

Rack to your keg.

Force carb - 30 PSI for 36 hours.

Back the CO2 down to what serving pressure works for the style.

Drink it when it tastes right. Everyones taster is different.

Yes, this. I, too, defer to Yooper on such things.

Most of my APAs and IPAs are being dispensed from the keg within 10 days of brewing day. I admire the patience of so many here... Though it was once the rage, the only time I rack to secondary these days is when making our fruity Wits. Proper temp control and proper amount of yeast helps a lot...

Back