APA and WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyBirdBrew

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this. I want to take advantage of the AHS $20 kits but don't really want to buy new yeast. I have the English Ale yeast washed and ready to make a starter but not sure how it will affect an APA or if it would just be weird. Still fairly new to all the different yeast strains.

If you ferment it colder, say 60 - 62 degrees, it will decrease the fruity/estery flavors from the english ale. At those lower temps, you would want to keep on eye on your fermentation, to make sure the yeast doesn't quit prematurely or attenuate too low. For what its worth, Goose Island uses english ale strains on most of its 'american' ales, like Honkers and 312.

It would probably come out something similar to something like Stone's IPA, which has a fairly low amount of hoppiness for an American IPA. They use either WLP002 or WLP007 (I don't remember which one) but favor the American hops (Cascade/Centennial/Chinook). Using US-05/001/1056 will produce a much drier beer, but WLP002 will still be pretty tasty, as Stone has proven.

Thanks guys, I had read that stone uses a English yeast so I figured its worth a shot. Gonna try it, ferment at a Cooler temp and see how it tastes.

Guess I just needed some encouragement.

NCBeernut made a Mirror Pond clone with the Fullers strain that I tasted and it was great. It's capable of making very good APAs.

Back