Anywhere worth stopping by in Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Nipping into Munich with some cheap tickets for the weekend. I've been to other parts of Bavaria and Franconia. Any advice on places to visit or beers to drink in Munich itself?

I spent 1 night in Munich many years ago. We only got to the Hoffbrau house but it was a great time. Had a liter of their beer, then saw the dunkel and asked for one. It was so good I had another. I don't recommend 3 liters of beer at one sitting but I survived and remember a good time.

I find it risible that you're asking if there a places in Munich worth stopping by for BEER. Also spaten.

Andech monastery is a good day trip. Great beer and great hiking if you want. It is nice to get outside the city. Within the city I think the best beer garden is northeast of the main train station at the Augustiner beer garden. Also a great outdoor market in the heart of the city (Viktualienmarkt I think) is an awesome place to get a beer. You pretty much can't go wrong anywhere for great lager.

Not far outside the city is Freising, which is where the airport is. Freising is also the home of Weihenstephan, the oldest brewery on the world.

So I'm sure you can find a spot or two... :D

Not a particular place, but I'd find myself some Augustiner hefeweizen. Can't get it outside Munich/Germany if I'm not mistaken. And it's mighty tasty.

Andech monastery is a good day trip. Great beer and great hiking if you want. It is nice to get outside the city. Within the city I think the best beer garden is northeast of the main train station at the Augustiner beer garden. Also a great outdoor market in the heart of the city (Viktualienmarkt I think) is an awesome place to get a beer. You pretty much can't go wrong anywhere for great lager.

I also reccomend the andech monastery.

Thanks, guys. I thought you'd be more likely to know about Munich than my friends and colleagues! I've been asking and only one had been (and liked it). Even my German friends didn't know Munich. Most people I know have been to Hamburg, Frankfurt, Berlin, Cologne, etc. Good to get some feedback here!

I'm on a plane and will be there in an hour! But unfortunately, only for one night so I won't make much of an advanced scout.

The Englischer Garten about 10 minutes or so from the city centre is really nice especially in good weather, you can see the surfers in a permanent wave that forms in a river, and in the centre there's a large bar/ dining area where you can get traditional food and drink and they often have a band playing as well. If Bayern Munich are at home is worth trying to catch a game as well. It's a shame you weren't there a couple of weeks ago though ;)!

You cannot go wrong with the augustiner or the english garden....both fantastic beer gardens especially with nice weather. If the weather is not cooperating, hit the hofbrauhaus for some good ole touristy fun and try to sing some german folk songs! You cant go wrong! I lived in munich for a little while about 10 years ago and cant wait to go back! My favorite city in europe!

The English Gardens are great.

Also, the Lowenbrau Keller.

It's right on the tram line so easy to get to.

I spent a summer in Munich many years ago. Had some great times there.

Lowenbrau_party_inside.jpg

Great food too.

lowenbrau-keller.jpg

It's got a very interesting history also.

It's not bad here. Great public transport and variety of mushrooms in the market. I haven't heard so many Americans since I was in Rome earlier this year! Less beer variety than Italy but better beer culture / atmosphere.

Hofbrau is a good allrounder for helles and dunkel. Pschorr was a bit malt overkill. I do struggle with beers that carbonated so barely getting a chance to get drunk (bar the bock, but not many places have it).

Something that may (or may not) interest you, I would keep your eye out for beers by a brewery called 'Crew Republic'. Not traditional Bavarian beer but a craft beer brewery based in Munich, I tried a few of their beers last summer and they were great!

It was good, got there Friday night and back Monday evening. The Urbock I had in the English garden was pretty good, and the HB bock too. Not keen on helles, but the Pschorr one seemed to be a bit more pleasantly bitter than the others. Funnily enough, back in Cardiff, the local arts centre is organising a small Oktoberfest and they are bringing in a wide variety of beer including some Northern ones (e.g., kolsch).

Hah, my local one includes festbier by Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner and Lowenbrau, Celebrator, two different kolsch (inc. Sion), couple of kellerbiers, two Augustiner helles, an alt, a rauchbier, seven different weiisbiers and lots of pale lagers.

Back