Anything wrong with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonracer67

Reaction score
Last AG batch I did was am IPA with alot of hop additions (it was the Bell's two hearted clone in the recipe section) and for the first time i didn't use any hop bags, just tossed them in(pellet hops). Well the massive hop trub nightmare convinced me I should never do that again. So yesterday I brewed up a Northern recipe, Surly Bender brown ale. Only about 3 oz of hops but in a "DOH" moment I realized i didn't have any hop bags. I did however have some Whirlfloc tablets and a grain bag. So i used them. I chilled my wort with my immersion chiller and after got it down to 75 degrees I took out the chiller and give it a good whirlpool and let it sit for about a 1/2 hour. I sanitized a grain bag and put it into my fermenter bucket. I tried to siphon but only got about halfway when I was pulling up trub (what's Whirlfloc supposed to do???) so since I needed to oxygenate anyway I just dumped the rest into my fermenter and then pulled the bag out. Let me tell you that bag caught a TON of stuff. In fact there was only about 3 gallons in the fermenter until i worked the bag and got all the liquid out of it. Worked awesome!

So anyone see a problem with doing that? I'm real careful about sanitation I even wear rubber gloves that I sanitize when I brew. I really don't see any issue as long as i sanitize, plus I'll get better hop utilization during my boil.

Agree?

Don't see any issue with it. Some often use a funnel with a filter in it to catch the trub. Some don't even bother as they say it makes no difference in the end. I have dumped all my wort, hop trub and all and have no significant affects to the finished beer.

The biggest issue I have had with hop trub is it blocking up the air lock. Ended up with half a gallon of porter all over the place.

Back