anything wrong with putting fruit in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I recently tried Ponce, and World Beer Cup Gold medal winning Saison from Quest Brewery in SC and I fell in love. So much so that I immediately went to LHBS to get the ingredients. Anyway, I will be adding some jalapenos and cucumbers and my original plan was to rack to a secondary but then I thought why not just drop in primary after fermentation ends.

My concern would be whether you might be allowing yeast and bacteria from the fruit to propagate before your primary yeast has a chance to take over. Also you will be unable to reuse the yeast cake.

The only negatives I can think of, thicker layer of trub in the primary and possibly? more loss to the trub? If you are bagging the fruit and using a carboy it is getting them in and out through the neck of the carboy.

My concern would be whether you might be allowing yeast and bacteria from the fruit to propagate before your primary yeast has a chance to take over. Also you will be unable to reuse the yeast cake.

The chance of yeast and bacteria propagating in secondary would be greater than in primary due to fewer yeast cells. A lot that could help ferment the added fruit will be left behind in the trub.

I am not sure that I would want to reuse the yeast after adding fruit, but unless it gets infected, why not?

Edit, didn't read the OP fully. Totally agree, secondaries are dumb...I would just wait to the fermentation died down.

Latest posts

Back